How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck?

/ How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck?
And might I add that the Ford 300 appears to be a chick magnet. :D

Last edited:
   / How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck? #32  
Well, trucks and tractors are a magnet for this chick, anyway! :D

/ How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck? #34  
94BULLITT

Excellent hantavirus info--thanks. Everyone should read it and the woman in the article should be wearing rubber gloves.
One part of this is we are surrounded by mice because they are everywhere in a rural environment. We just don't see them.

What size Cummins engine and what is it used in?

When your dad switched manifolds. do you recall how many years ago and any more info?
Apparently the problem with a straight six is the end cylinders starve for fuel unless the manifold is designed to compensate for that and sufficient fuel, but not too much enters the combustion chamber. The Clifford manifold is one of two I have been considering. Offy is the other.

The idea to switch engines was my first thought until I learned of the following for the 300 engine and the speed parts now available. Apparently it is legendary for it's torque and UPS still uses many of those engines. So do I swap out a perfectly good 10,000 mile engine that is a rodder's favorite or do I spend $5,000 to $10,000 on a drivetrain swap that I could get by without? That's why I'm thinking drive for a while I tweak the body panels, etc and then see how it goes and if I stumble into some other engine/trans/whatever?

I was referring to the 12 valve Cummins found in 89 to 98 Dodge trucks.

The truck my Dad changed manifolds on had a header mild cam. It was around 20 years ago.

The 300 does have good bottom end torque but they are not a speed demon. I think a truck that size would be better off with a bigger engine. A FE would be nice it too.

I was referring to the 12 valve Cummins found in 89 to 98 Dodge trucks.

The truck my Dad changed manifolds on had a header mild cam. It was around 20 years ago.

The 300 does have good bottom end torque but they are not a speed demon. I think a truck that size would be better off with a bigger engine. A FE would be nice it too.

Good advice and you sure know that engine. You are probably right with the bigger engine and I might go that way but it may take a while. I already have really fast things and have done the big-N-fast thing for decades. And while I could have a big Chevy/Ford and 6 speed in by nightfall, I need to think about the romance of a straight six. Plus, there is a lot of metal in that truck and suspension and while I could have lots of horsepower, there is no way it's going to the pavement with all that weight. Wheel hop with 8.25-20 duals?

I guess I'm still thinking.

/ How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck? #36  
Good advice and you sure know that engine. You are probably right with the bigger engine and I might go that way but it may take a while. I already have really fast things and have done the big-N-fast thing for decades. And while I could have a big Chevy/Ford and 6 speed in by nightfall, I need to think about the romance of a straight six. Plus, there is a lot of metal in that truck and suspension and while I could have lots of horsepower, there is no way it's going to the pavement with all that weight. Wheel hop with 8.25-20 duals?

I guess I'm still thinking.

You could always get the truck up and going with the 300 and put a different motor in it later.

The later model EFI 300's have a split manifold. That may be a inexpensive upgrade.

Do you watch gears on speed? He is build a International medium duty with a 1000hp durmax and air ride.

Are you sure it is a 300? My dad said it could be a 240?

You could always get the truck up and going with the 300 and put a different motor in it later.

The later model EFI 300's have a split manifold. That may be a inexpensive upgrade.

Do you watch gears on speed? He is build a International medium duty with a 1000hp durmax and air ride.

Are you sure it is a 300? My dad said it could be a 240?

The ID plate identifies the engine as a 300 HD 6 cylinder so I went with that. Plus, the air cleaner has tags on it that say 170 HP and I think 300 cu in as well. I'm OK with that for now since everything is interchangeable with the 240 anyway but in a 19,500 GVW I'm thinking it has to be a 300. Only has 10,000 miles on it.

Thanks and I'll look into the split manifold. I saw dino numbers with the Offy alum intake manifold and 390 CFM 4 bbl carb and the results were pretty impressive. Better still is improvement with a cam and exhaust headers.

Sometimes I watch Gears but missed that particular show. 1000 HP in a big truck is like putting 500 HP in an 1800 LB streetrod. It's great but after the first 500 feet you're maxed out because of steering and engineering limitations so you putter around like a big six cyl anyway.

Thanks.

Took out the seat back--where the mice were-- and put it in the sun for a couple hours. Then I soaked the affected area with vinegar and water and let it dry. Then I did it again. For the third time I used Lysol spray, because I had some, and it's still in the sun. I'm thinking rinse and repeat in a half hour and then again for tomorrow. Then we see, er, smell, and find out what happens.

The smell of vinegar and warm water is nauseating and second only to mouse urine in my book.

The seat looks like new but I'm thinking I should track new replacement seat fabric and have someone rip off all the old stuff down to the frame.

Didn't the first mice come over on the Mayflower? Cross from Alaska on the land bridge? Ferry over from Canada?

/ How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck? #39  
But the vinegar and water odor will dissipate, where the urine smell will not!

I have a straight six in one of my rigs. I think they will last forever, if care for with basic routine maintenance.

/ How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck? #40  
i don't think you will ever get rid of the smell.