Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #1  

6fthook

Tractor
Kubota
We're in the process of building a house (modular), and will be getting a used Mahindra 3510 with 3265 backhoe and ML112 front loader. I'm trying to think of ways to get my gun safe (empty) into the foundation before the house is set on the foundation so I don't have to worry about getting the safe into the basement afterwards. The foundation walls are 9' tall and will have about 12"-18" above grade, the safe weights about 1500lbs and is 72" tall.

I'm thinking of using straps around the safe to a single lifting point, attached to a 4,000lbs come-a-long, attached to the front loader. Then use the front loader to lift and move the safe into the foundation, and then use the come-a-long to lower the safe to the slab.

Any other ideas that I may be missing?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation
Thinking about it more and looking at the pictures of the loader, how would I attach the come-a-long to the loader bucket? Drill a hole and put a shackle in?
Can the backhoe lift/support the weight of the safe?

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #3  
How about getting the crane that will set the building to set it . Might be a lot safer for pretty short money.

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #4  
Even though the come-a-long is rated for 4000# it would be more of a handful lowering something that heavy. One click at a time and hope it doesn't skip any cogs. I like groundcovers idea.

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #5  
Even though the come-a-long is rated for 4000# it would be more of a handful lowering something that heavy. One click at a time and hope it doesn't skip any cogs. I like groundcovers idea.

I agree that the come along really isn't the best tool for lowering it down. If your tractor can handle the weight and you have a good place to mount it a chain hoist would be much better suited to your needs. 5 ton Manual Chain Hoist

Asking if the crane could lower it down first would be the easy way to get it in.

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #6  
Come-a-longs do fail... at least the one I bought did while lowered an Oldsmobile 455 engine... the 1/4" bolt used as the axle for the spool snapped... caused a nationwide recall.

Since I have only used a chain fall for heavy vertical loads... also like the idea of not having my fingers a fraction of an inch from the come-a-long cog release.

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #7  
Agree with the asking the crane operator as a first option.
If using the loader you should have grab hooks either bolted or welded on the bucket and use a chain fall. The next question is will the loader have enough reach past the wall to lower the safe.
Check the top and sides of the safe for covered lifting holes. Some have threaded holes in the sides or top for attaching bolts and a chain for lifting.
I don't think the BH would be strong enough to lift and lower the safe.

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #8  
I would be worried about how close you could get to the basement walls and back fill around the house. My vote would be the crane and $50 slipped to the operator.

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #9  
Just spitballing here, but I would find out from the crane operator way ahead of time if that would be doable for him. I would hate to get him here and find out he wouldn't do it.

Something else might work such as making a ramp from the top of the wall to the floor in the house using a couple sturdy 4x4s or 4x6s and anchor them tight so they wouldn't slip.

Then hoist the safe over the side while it is hooked to a truck or another tractor with a 30'-50' cable. That could be run under the lifting tractor so the lowering truck could just back up and let it come down slowly.

PS. Take a video and hope you never have to take it out again.

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation
haha you guys are geniuses, I knew I was missing something obvious. Having the safe all set up and rigged, and having the house set crane put the safe in is a much better solution. Thanks for the help you all!