Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #21  
Come on, it's made of steel, right? Just push it over the edge!

(not really!)

I vote for the safe room bcp mentioned in post #15. I've always wanted one. No basement here.

Thats not as far fetches as it sounds , the dropping it in . the fall isnt the problem , its the sudden stop at the end . What if you cushion the landing , with 20 or so used tires without rims , Thats how we use to unload heavy things out of the truck when no equipment was availablle , stack the tires and drop on them .

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #22  
As a former crane operator and house setter I would slip the crane operator a 50.00. I would set the safe and make sure you got your 50.00 back. No way I would get set up for the loss of my job for 50 dollars.

I've made crews happy with lunch or plenty of cold drinks and was glad to do it...

One poor crew was doing a tear off on the hottest day of the year... boy were they happy to see me drive up with 48 ounce big gulps...

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #23  
Lay it on its back,,,,,
,,,,on a stack of ice blocks
,,,,and just wait,,,,

:thumbsup:

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #24  
Have you considered the possible moisture problem in the basement?

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #25  
My brother-in-law just purchased a mammoth safe. He had it delivered and the 2 man crew came with a stair climbing hand truck like this one from Sunbelt. https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/detail/1225/0440098/stair-climber-1500lb/

If you didn't want to advertise to every contractor / laborer you will have onsite that you will have some goodies stored after you move in, you could always move the safe in after the construction is completed. That's what I would do. Call it a general lack of trust on my part :)

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #26  
Am I missing something. Why not just pick it up with your FEL, using a strap and sling as long as possible, and lower it into the basement? If the "reach" is not long enough to get it all the way to the bottom floor, build a cheap platform out of two by fours to set it on. Then detach your strap, "choke up" on it, reattach, and again lift it, remove the platform, and lower it again to the bottom. Make sense?

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #27  
I would use a chain fall before I even thought of a comealong. MUCH safer.
I like the idea of putting it in after the fact if you have access so that you reduce the number of people who know that its there.

Aaron Z

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #28  
Get a roadrunner and a coyote -- they will get the safe dropped to the lowest point on the site, though it might be too funny to watch.

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #29  
I was in Moab Utah last week - which stirred up fond memories of Roadrunner & Wile E. Coyote cartoons.

While all the ideas are interesting, it's just easy if 1500 lbs is within the lift capacity of the loader. Set it on a pile of pallets, crates anything to support it and work it downward. Cover with a tarp, then cover it with the modular home - nobody will know its there.

/ Ideas needed to lower a safe into open foundation #30  
Not sure about your area but here the house is placed before the slab gets poured. Wouldn't want the safe in there until slab completed.
No bulkhead? If so, slide it down the steps, as mentioned.
Jim