LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #1  

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
I am trying to decide what the best/cost effective LIQUID tire ballast is for my Ford 1920 4x4.
I will NOT use calcium chloride under any circumstances!!!!CORROSION !!!!
Beet juice sounds like a great idea, but the cost for TWO tires: $3.23 x 80 gal (40gal. ea.).= $258.40
Tax$16.15
$130.00 dealer must fill - from his bulk tank only
$60.00 gas round trip to dealer.
Overall TOTAL $464.55 giving 432# per tire

-20F Windshield washer fluid from Walmart; $1.58 per gal. x 80 gal.( 40 gal. ea.) = $126.40
No tax - different state
Fill at home by me .... with TSC fill fitting (already have it).
Overall TOTAL $126.40 giving 333# per tire

Thus, beet juice is 3.7 times MORE expensive than -20F washer fluid, and only weighs 99 lbs. more per tire. 432# v/s 333#
I will NOT use ethylene glycol as it is a deadly and attractive tasting drink for animals.
Plain water will freeze where I am.

Beet juice at: $464.55 v/s -20F windshield washer fluid at $126.40 ????
Seems like a no-brainer to me.
I can easily carry 200 - 300- 400- 500 lbs. of ballast on the 3pt. hitch as well.
Wheel weights are too expensive, and I would have to look for years to find the correct used ones.
Comments please!

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #2  
I used 2 gal of the cheapest ethylene glycol per tire. Cost me less than $50 to fill both tires.
I am in NC and it doesn't get that cold much.I know you said you won't use it but I am not worried about it leaking out and if it does it will just go into the ground.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #3  
I had the same issue. I wanted Beet Juice which weighs a little more than WW fluid. Beet juice in my area was almost $4 a gallon plus dealers fee to install plus would have to drop off tractor to him for a day. More than twice the price of WW.
I bought -20 WW fluid at TSC and filled my own tires (39 gallons each). I also have 2 rear ballast barrels I can add if needed. Last year I used chains but since loading the tires I'll see how plowing is without chains this year. Tractor is kept in a heated garage so I can put the chains on if needed.
My rear wheels don't have any holes to add wheel weights so if I had weights I'd have to drill the wheels. Used weights in my area are expensive, sellers must think they are gold plated.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #4  
Last week I bought some -20 degree windshield washer fluid from Lowes for .79 cents a gallon. It was marked down from $1.19 a gallon. Check them out.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #5  
I will NOT use calcium chloride under any circumstances!!!!CORROSION !!!!

put in tubes...no corrosion.

I had tubes and calcium in my Ferguson for 25 years and the tractor was 25 years old when I got it. No corrosion at all when I changed the tires 2 years ago.

Based on that experience, I put tubes and calcium in my new tractor. No regrets.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #6  
A couple years ago I bought Rimgard for $2.00 a gallon but I had to bring my barrels. Price around because prices differ substantially. Mine came from a big farm that fills tires as a sideline business.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #7  
put in tubes...no corrosion.

I had tubes and calcium in my Ferguson for 25 years and the tractor was 25 years old when I got it. No corrosion at all when I changed the tires 2 years ago.

Based on that experience, I put tubes and calcium in my new tractor. No regrets.

We had an old 1950ish Farmall Cub that had calcium in the rear tires when we got it. It had tubes but over the years the tubes leaked and calcium was getting to the wheels and we ended up having to replace both rear wheels because it. I guess I was about 16 (1977) and was out plowing the snow off the driveway and wondering if I was going to be able to finish before the tube that was sticking out of a rust hole in the wheel would hold up long enough or let go. It let go.. :thumbdown:

Last edited:
   / LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #8  
I filled a 12.4x28 for the 135 Ferg. with -20 WW fluid...does fine... when I had the other rear replaced had the outfit that did the tire mounting do what they do...which is methanol...both are fine. I have NO traction problems whatso ever with this tractor...oh, I have about 130 lbs of weight on the frontend as well, keeps the front down when I raise the 6ft landpride finish mower or the brush hog...BobG in VA

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #9  
The dealer did mine with WW fluid when I bought the tractor. Seems to work for me.

Will

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #10  
5 gallons methanol in each tire and the rest water