LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE
I just got the Ford 1920 last fall. It HAS TUBES, and both were filled with calcium chloride.
Both rims were TOTALLY rotten. It appears that over time the tubes let some small amount of fluid seep through, right where the valve stem is vulcanized into the tube.
I have an 8N that came to me 44 years ago WITH TUBES, and filled with calcium chloride. The result: two TOTALLY rotten 8N rims.
You must have had exceptionally good tubes from the very beginning.
I have been told that John Deere does not recommend calcium chloride.
I think I know why!

Thanks KBinCT
I am in SE Ma. so will check out the price at Lowes for -20F windshield washer fluid.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #13  
You can buy WW fluid in a 55 gal drum for even less money -- look around for that. May have sizes in between. Just seems crazy to buy it in gallon jugs when you need 80 gallons....

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #14  
When I bought my tractor with loader and 6 ft. cutter new they threw in the beet juice to seal the $30K deal. Having dealt with calcium chloride and tubes before there was no other option I would consider especially when I get -40 winter weather and have snow to plow with the tractor.
Last month my neighbor blew a tire with a lot of hay down (yes calcium chloride in a twenty year old tube.) I lent him my tractor to help get the hay in. He just brought it back Monday so it took him three weeks to get his rim repaired while he was trying to hay.
How much too much did you say that beet juice costs again?

[/B]vtsnowedin:
My three old Ford tractors (8N, 3400TLB, and 1920 FEL 4x4) are all for fun, and my personal use.
I cannot justify beet juice, at a cost approaching 4X that of the -20F windshield washer fluid.
I am an old guy, and my tractors sit in the barn, (I have LOTS of Battery Tender trickle chargers) while I go to Florida for the winter.
I only intend to keep loaded tires on my Ford 1920 FEL 4x4.
At some point, I might want to return, to spend a few days at Xmas time in the frigid Northland.
I now see, on the Lowe's website, that they have -20F washer fluid at $1.18 per gallon. That price, minus the Lowe's 10% veterans discount, will make it a GO, for me.
I have been in Nova Scotia for the summer, but will pick up 80 gal. in New Hampshire, when I pass through there on my return to the USA in two weeks.
Am having the tractor painted here. It is finally going back together. When reassembled, it should look like a new (1988) Ford 1920 FEL 4x4.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #16  
I have a couple questions about tire ballast for my friends 2120 4x4 Ford.
He took the backhoe off his tractor and has had a couple close calls when using the loader.
I suggested filling the tires and/or a 55 gallon drum of concrete.
How many gallons (approx.) do the rear wheels take?
Does the -20 degree washer fluid corrode rims?
What is the cost of Rim Guard and where would I buy it?
Thanks
90cummins

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #17  
I have a couple questions about tire ballast for my friends 2120 4x4 Ford.
He took the backhoe off his tractor and has had a couple close calls when using the loader.
I suggested filling the tires and/or a 55 gallon drum of concrete.
How many gallons (approx.) do the rear wheels take?
Does the -20 degree washer fluid corrode rims?
What is the cost of Rim Guard and where would I buy it?
Thanks
90cummins

Gallons and cost is something you will need to figure out based on tire size.

WW fluid will not corrode, or at least not fast enough to ever matter in our lives.

Remember that loaded tires are usually just enough ballast to offset the weight of the front loader (not its cargo), and they do not truly help unload the front axle. When carrying something heavy in the front loader, you really want additional ballast hanging off the 3-pt. So your suggestion of filling the tires *and* having a concrete ballast makes perfect sense.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #18  
[/B]vtsnowedin:
My three old Ford tractors (8N, 3400TLB, and 1920 FEL 4x4) are all for fun, and my personal use.
I cannot justify beet juice, at a cost approaching 4X that of the
We each have our own situation and requirements. -20 WWF will do OK for you. Enjoy your restored Ford.

90cummins:

Pete's Tire Barn sells Rim Guard, and has 10 locations in Massachusetts, with others in NH,CT,RI, & VT. (Pete's is a really great place to buy tractor tires too!)
"Does the -20 degree washer fluid corrode rims?"
Does the washer fluid corrode your car when you spray it all over the top front of your car?
Probably not!
I recently checked on the price for Rim Guard at a dealer in Carver, MA. (can't remember the name).
The price was $3.23 per gallon, plus approximately $70-$75 (labor each tire) to fill.
I am sure that beet juice is good stuff,...... but 2 tires (2 x 40 gal. @$3.23 per gal.) plus 2 x $70 labor, plus my mileage cost to go there and back, is WAY too pricey for me!
Don't let ANYBODY talk your friend into using calcium chloride though!
$84.96 will buy me 80 gal. of -20 washer fluid at Lowe's, and will give me 333 lbs of weight per tire (beet juice would be 432 lbs. per tire)
I will put the washer fluid in my tires with the $10 special fill attachment that I already have from TSC.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #20  
Greetings. I'm a little surprised hat no one evenmentioned another great choice.

That choice is RV antifreeze. Its more than windshield washet but it's less than rimguard. Its available at all retail utlets that sell windshield washer so if ww is cheap somewhere . . Chances are RV antifreeze is too.

1. Windshield washer has cleaners in it because its a wash. Those cleaners are not good for constant contact with metal and rubber which is why vehicle washer containers are always plastic.

2. While ww fluid is cheap . . it isn't pet or ground friendly.

3. While ww fluid is cheap . . . its rated for anywhere from 32 degrees to -40 degrees depending on product. HOWEVER . . its rating is based on surface cleaning temperature not product standing temperature. That is why bottles of -20 ww fluid I had in the garage froze sold at -5 in the garage.

4. RV antifreeze is designed for one purpose . . Being an antifreeze in standing conditions. Typically that is -50 degrees.

5. Because it is a standing antifreeze and not a coolant antifreeze . . Or cleaner . . . It is safe on metal and water and your hands. In fact its safe for pets and the ground and even people.

6. RV antifreeze has a far longer use life because it doesn't have cleaners or coolant adfitives or lubrication additives . . and its safe on metal, vinyl, rubber and all plastics and sealants.

As i said pricing is less than Rimguard and more than windshirld washer.

On another note: posters are showing the sale and comparison prices on ww fluid. I called 4 Rimguard places in our are (names and numbers given by rimguard for my area and purposes. The price ranged from 2.50 to 3.65 per gallon . . no quantity amount required. And labir cost to install varied between 45 per hour and 99 per hour (lowest price was lowest lowest labor). Again all places checked were certified RimGuard dealers.