Trailer Features - What To Look For

/ Trailer Features - What To Look For #1  

savaytse66

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 BX25
I am looking to buy a trailer for my Kubota BX25. It is a subcompact weighing in at around 2,700 pounds; I think that includes the loader and backhoe. I also have a brush hog, box blade, and mid-mount mower. I have never had a need for a trailer, so I am not completely sure what features to look for. Since I would also consider used, I want to make sure I do not consider something without all of the necessary features.

So what kind of things should I be looking for in a 14' or 16' trailer? My main priority is obviously safety. My truck is plenty powerful and has the standard square drawbar that comes on the truck (2016 Sierra). I'd like to keep the price as low as possible since I will only be regularly trailering about 6 or 7 miles every couple weeks. I don't necessarily need to be able to transport all implements at once.

Thanks

/ Trailer Features - What To Look For #2  
How long is the tractor with the loader and brushhog mounted? That would be my minimum trailer length. Also, I'd be looking at a dual axle trailer preferably with brakes on both axles. Also, surge brakes are ok but electric brakes are much better since you can adjust them up or down for your needs that day. I would recommend getting led lights as well.

/ Trailer Features - What To Look For #3  
With a tandem axle trailer, I would make sure it has brakes on both axles (some don't)!

/ Trailer Features - What To Look For #4  
Here's my suggestions.
Double axle with brakes on one (preferably both) axles. Brake controller for the truck.
7K rated, at least 16', You'll need length for the brush hog.
At least 4 chains for the tractor, ratchet binders, and ratchet straps for securing equipment (loader, brush hog, BH,).
A standard trailer with beaver tail and ramps will work for you and is cheapest way to go.
Get a wider trailer, 82" between the fenders, then you can use it for hauling vehicles if needed. A landscape trailer (76") is too narrow for this.
I prefer a wood deck.
There's quite a few trailer dealers in PA to choose from.

/ Trailer Features - What To Look For #5  
One of my biggest regrets was buying a 16' flatbed trailer, then spending more money to purchase a dump trailer. Could have saved me a bundle if I initially just purchased a big enough dump trailer to haul the tractor.

/ Trailer Features - What To Look For #6  
I am at a similar decision point. I need a dump trailer which would get regular use on the farm, but it would also be great to be able to haul the tractor every now and then. I also will need to haul a car over 1500 miles in a few month. My question is, can one safely (and legally) transport a car or tractor long distance on a dump trailer. My concern is not about weight ratings or brakes but about attachment points to secure such cargo on a dump trailer.

/ Trailer Features - What To Look For #7  
Some dump trailers have loops or tie downs in dump trailers but you should be able to weld those in if need for a car or tractor. If hauling something such *** Zockel car is a one time deal then check on renting a trailer.

First find out if you must has a trailer with title in your state or not. I think PA does but all states do not. If buying used there a LOT of stolen trailers out there so a title helps to prevent you buying stolen. Along same line be sure what you coverage is while towing with your pickup insurance company. If looking for a trailer to haul a car many of those have a removable left fender so you can remove it and open the car door for loading and unloading.

I also considered a dump trailer for hauling and while could find them that would do both you need to think on the need. First a dump trailer needs height to really dump, a low tail gate end does not give much clearance for dumping while for hauling such as a tractor the lower the load the more stable it is. Dump trailers are often mounted higher over the axles than an equipment trailer is. That means a steep load angle or a low dump point. That does not mean you can not have a trailer for both uses a lot will depend on what you will be dumping. I have used a dump trailer a lot with normal dirt and they do not lift near as steep angle as a dump truck and at best are fair. With wet or sticky dirt oil the trailer bottom before loading the dirt which would then be tough for rubber tires to grip. If buying used be prepared to look under the trailer at the axles for sign of being overloaded. Any sign the tires are rubbing the bed of the trailer, ask how much it will haul and let them brag on how big a load they have had on it. If they tell you can fill it with dirt or rock just listen and figure out later is that more than it is built for. With dump trailers too many will fill as full as the sides will handle with no idea how much that weighs and will easy be more than the trailer can handle. kt

/ Trailer Features - What To Look For #8  
A 7x16 landscape trailer with tandem axles would be ideal for a BX and give you a little margin to grow and enough room to position the tractor fore/aft to get tongue weight right. I bought that type/size trailer for my B and it worked out well (anything shorter would not have). It's on the small side for my L3200, but still plenty of trailer for the tractor.

/ Trailer Features - What To Look For #9  
For myself, I am thinking about a dump trailer. One small enough to be pulled behind the tractor in rough terrain but large enough to fit the tractor in to be pulled by my truck. Problem is I'd like a bigger tractor someday.

/ Trailer Features - What To Look For #10  
A 7x16 landscape trailer with tandem axles would be ideal for a BX and give you a little margin to grow and enough room to position the tractor fore/aft to get tongue weight right. I bought that type/size trailer for my B and it worked out well (anything shorter would not have). It's on the small side for my L3200, but still plenty of trailer for the tractor.

This ^^. If you don't' 'want to dump a bunch of cash a 16 ft landscape trailer will get the job done and be really useful for other tasks as well. I built one 20 years ago and that thing has been used so much it's amazing. Would be great for your setup.