HST worse for tinnitus than gears?

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #1  

drab m

Tractor
None
So I have a grand total of 6 hours on my new Kubota L2501 HST and my ears are a ringin' louder than a cicadas farm. I was wearing ear plugs. This is my first HST tractor, I have been driving geared tractors all spring and summer with no more tinnitus than usual ( I can thank Bon Jovi for the initial start of the Tinnitus).

Could it be that the high pitched whine of the Hydro aggravates my ears in a way that a year tractor does not? I used to have a drill that I had to throw away. It didn't seem loud, but was high pitched. Every time I used it my ears complained for two days... I don't want to have to throw out this new tractor :)

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #2  
I've read on here (I think) that noise canceling headphones work better on high pitched sound?

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #4  
I have tinnitus and outside noise like running a trimmer or blower (have a gear tractor) seems to lesson the tinnitus...for a while anyway...the sound of tinnitus is not the same as regular sound waves...

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #5  
I have it bad and the HST doesn't affect it at all

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #6  
WHAT?
:laughing:
I hear the cicadas all year round as well. Some days worse than others. I've never found that equipment noise makes it any worse and I always use hearing protection.

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #7  
I have it too but have learned to ignore it or adapted to it for the most part. I listen to the radio or MP3 player in the shop or on the tractors. I go to sleep with the radio on to keep some background sounds going. About the only thing that bothers me is beeps, bells or xylophone sounds. That forest fire commercial with the animated matches blows the top of my head off if I don't grab the remote and kill the sound in time. I also have trouble hearing the "buzz" of rattle snakes so I watch the ground closely when out and about the property and stay out of the high grass unless I'm on the tractor. I had a rattler flop up on the fender next to the seat of the dozer one time. I about had a heart attack! It was caught in the track and got pulled away but it was still a heart stopper to see it right next to me for a second. In most cases, that's all it takes to die. :shocked:

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #9  
I've got a HST tractor and tinnitus (mild case in both ears, not cicada strength). The HST has never bothered me.

I wear good quality db earmuffs at all times with anything that makes noise. Ear-plugs just don't cut with me.

Ear protection & wearing safety equipment is a legacy of my 40 years in the Navy... a hard habit to break (even if I wanted to).

[Heck, you should see me 'gear-up' just to chainsaw a twig! :laughing:]