HST worse for tinnitus than gears?

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #21  
I have noise induced hearing loss from working in a very noisy big named food factory for 27 years, I was a role model employee until I put in the injury claim, then I was dirt, 27 years great service didn't mean squat anymore. I wore hearing protection but it is only effective to a point, high decibels and lengthy exposure will still cause damage with hearing protection. I can not hear upper range sounds, birds, frogs, crickets, water trickling etc. The tinnitus is like a nail hole in a car tire just a constant load hissss. I have noticed the HST does irritate it but no more then the old 1975 International 574 gear I had, I think just any constant load noise exposure revs it up a bit more. I was amazed at how well hearing aids restored the upper range and regular hearing while drowning out the hisssss. They come with a remote so I still have selective hearing when ever I want. I have always worn hearing protection, even on the riding mower and encourage all to wear it.

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #22  
Oops. Sorry about that. :)

Same here.

Lately I have been using the headphone style plugs when on the lawn mower, tractor(HST), running the weed eater, etc. After an hour the plugs start to make my ears hurt so I have been shopping for a good set of "muffs" to do away with the plugs. The Dr. told me any loud noises will eventually make it worse. It's on the mild end right now. I would like to keep it that way.

Same here. 30+ years as a Rock-n-Roll BarStar has devastated my hearing.

Protect your hearing. If it bothers you, change it. If you can't change it, use adequate protection. I've never used an HST tractor on a regular basis (yet), but I can see where it might be a problem for some people. Everyone's tinnitus is different, of course. It's a horrible condition. Don't let it get worse.

Of course, mine is screaming now. :rolleyes:

Ditto.... hate to say it but... I think we are born with noises in our ears. If you dwell on them, they bother you... think about something else, and it will go away. IE: if your ears are bothering you, don't go to the doctor... just smash a finger with a hammer. EARS CURED.....!!!! :)

You should be.......buzz....buzz....buzz...............he......eh....hum....hum...:D

The only time that I use a head set ear muffs is when operating the Brush Cutter or the Leaf blower or the Cyclone Rake or the Chipper Shredder....Chain Saw..... or..... Huh?

Mine is really odd. I sometimes don't hear it at all then if I notice it's gone it immediately comes back. Outside it seems to be less than inside.

TBS

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears?
I have noise induced hearing loss from working in a very noisy big named food factory for 27 years, I was a role model employee until I put in the injury claim, then I was dirt, 27 years great service didn't mean squat anymore.

It is amazing how poorly some people can treat other people...

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #24  
If you can imagine a silent dog whistle where the frequency has been lowered to the point where a human can jusr hear it, and then loud enough so that you have difficulty hear normal conversation, then you know what I experience. Hearing aids help some.

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #25  
I can thank the high pitch whine from the twin J-79 jet engines in the F-4 Fathom for my hissing. (1970's) There was nothing to do to help even with custom fit ear plugs and head set/intercom.

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #26  
From what I know about tinnitus, it can come from several different and various conditions inside the inner ear, so one person's tinnitus is not always the same as another persons. I find exposure to any loud noise increases mine considerably for quite a while. Ear protection always helps keep the ringing from getting really loud after the noise is gone. I run around half the time with ear plugs in. I also find that even if it is quiet, and my ears are ringing especially loud, putting in earplugs helps reduce the ringing. For that reason, I often wear earplugs to bed. If I just lay there and listen, the ringing can sometimes suddenly drop several decibels and I then pull the earplugs out.
My wife says if I didn't hear my ears ringing, I wouldn't hear anything at all. I reply, "What did you say?" :)

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #27  
All we can do is pass down this info to younger people. Hopefully we can save some others from the same fate that we have.

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #28  
All we can do is pass down this info to younger people. Hopefully we can save some others from the same fate that we have.

its just hope, not much reason to expect more. Not when you can hear a kid driving in his car from several hundred yards away with 'music' booming.

I was once sitting in traffic with my windows closed. a kid came up to me in the next lane and waited with me. The volume of noise inside my truck, coming from his car, was nearly unbearable to me. I looked out and saw that his trunk lid was bulging up and down with each 'boom' of the bass he was listening to.

And his windows were up.

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears? #29  
True, but I still try to explain to the younger crowd the long term effects of loud music, shooting, manufacturing, etc without ear protection.

/ HST worse for tinnitus than gears?
I teach college, and some days it seems like half the kids walk into the classroom with headphones or earbuds. Some so loud that I can hear it (with my bad hearing) from several feet away.