Oil & Fuel Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #41  
In MA and RI we can only buy ethanol free "racing fuel" in either quarts or gallons. A gallon costs $28!!! Talk about rip off.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #42  
Today I put gas in my truck which was E10 and cost $40 for 20 gallons. ( that's the only time I don't like driving my truck) Then my mule ran out of gas. I bought 10 gallons of E0 gas for $23. Since my mower is diesel I'll probably only need two more 2 gallon cans full for the rest of the year. I'll mix those for my 2 strokes.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #43  
As I often do, I perused this thread to see if there was knowledge to be had... and you blokes haven't failed me. Lubricity. I had no idea that it was a 'thing', let alone a requirement. So I looked up the diesel fuel that I regularly buy: Diesel

Which led me to see what the Australian standard is for diesel lubricity = 0.460mm (max) : Fuel Quality in Australia - Diesel fuel quality standard

I've never used an additive in my JD 4105's Yanmar donk, nor have I been advised to by either my JD dealership or Mates who run tractors. Winter-wise, the coldest it gets here in Tassie (which is the southern most State, therefore the coldest [excluding mountainous elevations] is a few morning hours at -1C (1 below freezing).

So, I guess what I'm saying/asking is, do I need to consider getting some sort of additive or do the Australian standards 'cover me'? :confused3:

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #44  
Problems with diesel fuel gelling occur at lower temps than just freezing. We do use winter fuel formulations in New England but the real problems tend to be in the Midwest and Canada where winter temps drop into the minus degree Fahrenheit range. I wouldn't think anywhere in Australia would be at risk. Your climate is more like Texas and I don't know if they even use winterized fuel down there.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #45  
Like moriboy say Twice the price???? Here in sw MO regular unleaded is $1.88.9 Ethanol free premium (only ethanol free gas available) is $2.38.9. So cookie is correct in saying it is cheaper to buy an additive and regular gas than the more expensive ethanol free variety available here. However his "twice the price" is a bit a stretch.
Twice the price?? NOT where "I" buy it... You need to shop around more...

SR

Last edited:
   / Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #46  
Ethanol free gas here is about 30 cents per gallon higher than E10.

Started out keeping 15 to 20 gallons around for the generator, Now it's all I use for mix for the chainsaws, and ZTM.

Makes a big difference in the 2 strokes.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #47  
The trend I see here is people that live in warm weather climates don't see a need for additives. People in cold weather climates use additivates.

Dealing with gelled up fuel sucks and it only takes once to always use an additive to prevent it. I also want all the lubricity I can since low sulpher diesel has little to none.

Has anyone really opened their injectors or injection pump to confirm all the claims of not needing an additive.

I use the Ford Powerstroke additive in everything, since I buy it in bulk anyways. Never a problem in weather as low as 30 below.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #48  
I use Howse in my diesel fuel year round. My dealer advised me to use an additive, especially in the winter, and said he used it in all his diesel at his farm. He told me about how they recently received a truckload of tractors from CIH in WI, and they all had gelled diesel. He said it was a mess trying to get the fuel systems thawed so they could unload the trailer. That's all I needed to here to convince me.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #49  
The trend I see here is people that live in warm weather climates don't see a need for additives. People in cold weather climates use additivates.

Dealing with gelled up fuel sucks and it only takes once to always use an additive to prevent it. I also want all the lubricity I can since low sulpher diesel has little to none.

Has anyone really opened their injectors or injection pump to confirm all the claims of not needing an additive.

I use the Ford Powerstroke additive in everything, since I buy it in bulk anyways. Never a problem in weather as low as 30 below.

Why wouldn't manufacturers specify the need for a lubricity enhancing additive if their engineers felt that modern low sulfur fuel was inadequate? Why would a major manufacturer design and build a modern diesel that had lubricity requirements that were not provided in modern diesel fuel?

I think the onus is on those who believe additives are necessary, not on those who go along with manufacturers stated fuel requirements (I'm talking about lubricity additives not anti gelling additives).

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #50  
Why wouldn't manufacturers specify the need for a lubricity enhancing additive if their engineers felt that modern low sulfur fuel was inadequate? Why would a major manufacturer design and build a modern diesel that had lubricity requirements that were not provided in modern diesel fuel?

I think the onus is on those who believe additives are necessary, not on those who go along with manufacturers stated fuel requirements (I'm talking about lubricity additives not anti gelling additives).

I don't know if you're just being dense on a technicality or really believe the manufacturers and their guidelines. Manufactures inherently will never admit to their products needing anything because their engineering is so advanced they don't need to face a world where variables exist. Fuel in California is different from fuel in Florida and it even changes from winter to summer. Therefore it's not in their best interest to spec for anything because it just creates confusion and they need to be viewed as a superior in the engineering department.

The reality is fuel is made to different specifications and that changes from refinery to refinery (cetain levels), however cetain is not my reason for using an additive. The only thing they must conform to is the sulpher content of the fuel. Sulpher is known to provide lubricity for the pump and injectors. It's at a level where the moto is "minimum necessary" to not cause problematic issues. That sets the bar really low and by the time it has an effect, the machine is long past warranty, so why do they care. Fuel pumps and injectors are very critical on a diesel and why would someone want just the minimum necessary to protect those components?

I'm not willing to settle for the government telling me that 15% sulpher is adequate for the critical components on my engine, because it's not. Not using no additive will probably get me to 3000 hours, but using an additive might get me to 5000 hours on the injectors and pump. At that time frame it's worth it.