Kioti Tractor DK40 Not charging battery

/ Kioti Tractor DK40 Not charging battery #1  

bullebak

Bronze Member
Tractor
Daedong DK40
Hi guys,

Do I just buy a new alternator, or should I first look elsewhere?

Initially I thought I resolved the issue by cleaning the plug connections adjacent to the alternator, but the issue raised it's head again today. Plenty of power on the alternator terminal, looks like the built-in regulator stuffed.

When spraying weeds everything stopped. Battery exhausted. Drove the car up and jump-started the tractor so could drive it back to base. By that time the battery voltage read less than 4V, disconnected it and put on manual charge. Tractor definitely not charging.

Battery is new.

/ Kioti Tractor DK40 Not charging battery #2  
Basics first. Is the belt tight? Are all the wires clean and tight? Not sure if yours has an internal regulator, look on the dash under the hood. You can remove it and have it tested at most auto part stores.

/ Kioti Tractor DK40 Not charging battery
Yes, belt is correct tension, adjusted it recently. 1/2" deflection in the middle, a bit more if you push hard. Wires ok. Tractor used to be in the weather for the first few years, but now it has a comfortable home (new big shed with concrete floor), ideal for maintenance work.

The regulator is internal.

Will check with the service agent if they can test it.

/ Kioti Tractor DK40 Not charging battery #5  
Did you measure the juice getting into the battery? Even 'new' batteries can be bad.

Battery was tested to be good by the retailer, only a few months old.

When the battery was charging, voltage read around 13-14V with engine running. Today not charging, voltage less than 12V with engine running (at time of normal operation of spray pump).

Same issue with another battery.

During spraying I keep the engine running (keep battery charged), worked fine for years.

/ Kioti Tractor DK40 Not charging battery #7  
Kinda looks like the alternator is going to get blamed, unless you've got an external regulator.

/ Kioti Tractor DK40 Not charging battery #8  
Sounds like bad alternator then. Unless it is something with the known goofy key switch. You did say it was left outside for a while. Not likely though.

I replaced the ignition switch a while ago, because it became intermittent and no contact spray helped long-term. But the new switch doesn't go back from it's start position by itself.

I've had a number of problems with this tractor. Biggest one is that the front-wheel assist failed TWICE, and those repairs costed plenty.

/ Kioti Tractor DK40 Not charging battery #10  
what were the front end problems? Just curious, as I own a larger Kioti and one day I will probably buy a smaller one. I like those little DK's.