Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
80ac of new kentucky bluegrass/orchard grass.

JD 5100e w/cab 100hp - 540 PTO speed

I am looking at purchasing a batwing for the above farm mowing. Intermittently, there might be some acreage left for haying, but the above is the maximal use I will have for the mower. There is no significant brush or saplings. This is straight up horse pasture. Ultimately, the pasture will be broken up into paddocks with runs between them. So the largest single paddock will likely be approximately 25 ac with several smaller. I will be purchasing a flail for cleanup work and will design the fences to fit the flail size. I will also likely purchase a fence row mower to decrease the string trimming, as much as possible.

I am looking for a mower which will help me get this accomplished with as much speed and quality final cut as possible. I'd like to get a 'flex flail' system, but I just spoke with Iowa Farm Equipment and they run $27K and up... so that isn't happening short of lotto.

I know that somewhere, whether this website or another place, I saw some information comparing the cut of the major brands of mowers, but I have not been able to find it again. To my recollection, some performed much better on pasture, with less windrowing and cleaner cut. But I don't remember which or what.

Given this is not an insubstantial purchase, I'd like to insure that I make as good a choice as possible.

I've never demo'd anything, but think I might begin at this point. But, I won't have a mature pasture for at least 2 years, so anything I do now won't really tell me much. At this point I have 11ac of fall drilled pasture with winter wheat sown in for erosion control. I need to mow the wheat down so the grass won't be shadowed. That is my immediate need. I know any of them can do this... but what I need is a better understanding of the likelihood of good outcome 2yrs from now.

I've looked at JD, Woods, and Rhino. I'm sure there are more around.

What are your thoughts and recommendations given the above needs?

Last edited:
   / Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #2  
80ac of new kentucky bluegrass/orchard grass.

JD 5100e w/cab 100hp - 540 PTO speed

I am looking at purchasing a batwing for the above farm mowing. Intermittently, there might be some acreage left for haying, but the above is the maximal use I will have for the mower. There is no significant brush or saplings. This is straight up horse pasture. Ultimately, the pasture will be broken up into paddocks with runs between them. So the largest single paddock will likely be approximately 25 ac with several smaller. I will be purchasing a flail for cleanup work and will design the fences to fit the flail size. I will also likely purchase a fence row mower to decrease the string trimming, as much as possible.

I am looking for a mower which will help me get this accomplished with as much speed and quality final cut as possible. I'd like to get a 'flex flail' system, but I just spoke with Iowa Farm Equipment and they run $27K and up... so that isn't happening short of lotto.

I know that somewhere, whether this website or another place, I saw some information comparing the cut of the major brands of mowers, but I have not been able to find it again. To my recollection, some performed much better on pasture, with less windrowing and cleaner cut. But I don't remember which or what.

Given this is not an insubstantial purchase, I'd like to insure that I make as good a choice as possible.

I've never demo'd anything, but think I might begin at this point. But, I won't have a mature pasture for at least 2 years, so anything I do now won't really tell me much. At this point I have 11ac of fall drilled pasture with winter wheat sown in for erosion control. I need to mow the wheat down so the grass won't be shadowed. That is my immediate need. I know any of them can do this... but what I need is a better understanding of the likelihood of good outcome 2yrs from now.

I've looked at JD, Woods, and Rhino. I'm sure there are more around.

What are your thoughts and recommendations given the above needs?

Are you thinking new or used Batwing? We have a Used 15 ft Woods BW180 @ $9500 and also a 20 Ft Woods @ $7500 that have just arrived this past week. Ken Sweet

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #3  
I don't think myself you will ever find a rotary cutter or bush hog type that gives a clean cut. All I have ever seen will windrow to one side. Then you also have tire squash. Clean cut? I would get the biggest disk cutter and set the discharge wide open and mow when it's still short. Then you can also use it for baling.

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #4  
I don't think myself you will ever find a rotary cutter or bush hog type that gives a clean cut. All I have ever seen will windrow to one side. Then you also have tire squash. Clean cut? I would get the biggest disk cutter and set the discharge wide open and mow when it's still short. Then you can also use it for baling.

We use a Woods BW180 15 Ft Batwing here on the farm and it does very good in tall or short cutting with no wind-rowing. Lots of the other brands do not do well at all. A disc mower would leave the entire length of the forage being cut on top of the stubble. Cutting short could possibly work? Ken Sweet

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #5  
The Woods 180 is the most popular in our area for farmers, our renters have two and we use Woods DS1260 with a very good quality cut. I also like Land Pride, but have only used their single spindle cutters.

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #6  
Have a new mx15 I got to use this week. Used to take me 15 hrs and 50 gallons of diesel with my 5055e and mx7 now only took 4-4.5 hrs and 20 gallons or so of fuel (haven't filled up but at 3/8 of a 30 gallon tank). Mows really nice and wasn't to rough as I had been concerned with since it uses the tires for suspension. Looks real nice behind a green tractor too

Brett

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #7  
Forgot to mention.... spray your fence rows with chemicals annually and you won't have to mess with trimming around them. We use Sahara and it's the real deal.

Brett

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #8  
Deleted

Last edited:
   / Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #9  
Deleted

Last edited:
   / Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture
There are some great new options in rotary cutters that don't windrow and have a great cut quality... but not within the price cap the OP has already dismissed (not buying new, anyway).

In order to avoid windrowing, multiple blades per deck section is mandatory. When you step into batwing territory, that's a MINIMUM of 6 blades, 6 spindles, and two addition secondary drives over a single deck solution. That's expensive to manufacture, with any measure of dependability, quality, or serviceability.

Regardless of price... what mowers have 6 blades/spindles? I've only seen that on Schulte 42ft versions. Unless its a finish mower