Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #11  
Delete

Last edited:
   / Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture
This farm is mine. There are no clients other than us.

I want to spend money wisely and given I have the opportunity, I want to build it so I will be able to care for it with as little difficulty as possible until I'm no longer around. Therefore, when I say I will build the runs to the size of the flail, I mean that I will insure that I can mow between them easily. Fences will likely be a combination of 4 board wood and 4 'board' vinyl strap (Centaur). An extra 2' between paddocks won't make a difference to my horses, but it will make a difference many times a year, every time I mow. I have the ability to make this as perfect, as possible at this point, given there is nothing on the land to regulate the fence placement.

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #13  
Delete

Last edited:
   / Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture
The OP's obvious focus is wide area mowing, as the title clearly says "BATWING". Thus, this means three blade sections.

Now let's do the math:

Batwing = 3 blade sections

Cut quality = multiple blades per deck (minimum of 2)

3 deck sections
x2 blades per deck
=a minimum of 6 blades, spindles, and two secondary drives (one for each wing deck)

Is that better?

As a matter of fact, regardless of your condescension, it is NOT better. Math is only good if it relates to something specific. My question about what, other than finish mowers, have more than one blade per section remains. I was hoping that you had a specific machine or manufacturer in mind, at which I could then evaluate the option.

As I stated, as the OP and in the OP, I know that there was/is information stating that some of the batwing manufacturers tend to windrow more than others and have better/worse cut than others. While, yes, I state that I'd like to have a flail and that they are too expensive for the gain, I do want to check all options. I recognize there is a wealth of information available on this forum, hence the question.

I am grateful for your recommendation about the Jacobsen, as I have never seen one. That is an option I had never entertained. But I fail to understand this post as anything useful.

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #15  
Another vote for the Woods BW-180. We cut three times a year. I've always been happy with the cut quality.

13489349775_866b3d6f7d_b.jpg

14677053150_773ae6283e_b.jpg

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #16  
Delete

Last edited:
   / Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #17  
Deleted

Last edited:
   / Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #18  
We use a Woods BW180 15 Ft Batwing here on the farm and it does very good in tall or short cutting with no wind-rowing. Lots of the other brands do not do well at all. A disc mower would leave the entire length of the forage being cut on top of the stubble. Cutting short could possibly work? Ken Sweet

I always thought a disk mower was more like a lawn mower because of all the cutters it has. I never liked how a bush hog type cutter does but I am probably to picky. I bush hog what I have about 5 or 6 times a year before it gets over a foot tall and I cut it about 8 inches high. Less wind rowing and tire squash. I have a 7 footer. Probably as large a cutter the size tractor I have can handle. I see in your avitar you have a tractor with a drum mower on it. How do you like it? The pro's and con's of it. I thought of maybe getting one of those and see if it would cut better than a bush hog type and leave a cleaner looking job. Can you even cut with one and keep it 8 inches off the ground?? Thanks for any info.

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #19  
I always thought a disk mower was more like a lawn mower because of all the cutters it has. I never liked how a bush hog type cutter does but I am probably to picky. I bush hog what I have about 5 or 6 times a year before it gets over a foot tall and I cut it about 8 inches high. Less wind rowing and tire squash. I have a 7 footer. Probably as large a cutter the size tractor I have can handle. I see in your avitar you have a tractor with a drum mower on it. How do you like it? The pro's and con's of it. I thought of maybe getting one of those and see if it would cut better than a bush hog type and leave a cleaner looking job. Can you even cut with one and keep it 8 inches off the ground?? Thanks for any info.

I think Drum mowers should primarily be used for cutting hay. They are designed to cut low and will not do well at 8 inches high cutting. For cutting hay, the drum mower is where you get the biggest bang for your buck. No clogging, able to mow when hay is damp and very fast. Ken Sweet

/ Batwing Rotary mower - comparison of cut, quality, value? 80ac exclusively pasture #20  
Another vote for the Woods BW-180. We cut three times a year. I've always been happy with the cut quality.

13489349775_866b3d6f7d_b.jpg

14677053150_773ae6283e_b.jpg

Thats some pretty country there.... must be Northern Alabama....doesn't look like the Wiregrass! Is that a 9540?

Stu