Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks?

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #1  

VaBeekeeper

Tractor
2016 Kubota L3901 HST with LA-525 front loader
Hi folks,

Sold on the utility of bucket hooks, I got some and had them installed: a 5/8" grab hook on each side with a slip hook in the middle. Now I'm wondering exactly how (and how not) to use them, to maximize efficiency and safety.

I know that grab hooks are typically used with chain for securing, lifting and dragging, while the slip hook is typically used with straps. And I know that with grab hooks, the chain link should rest inside the hook, rather than being skewered on the tip. But I'd appreciate further advice on what works best to secure the load, whether the bottom of the bucket should be parallel to the ground or curled, which jobs are within the scope of my tractor/loader (Kubota L3901 HST/LA525 loader) and which are a prelude to disaster, that sort of thing.

Since chains and straps are used every day in industry, surely there must be a ton of literature on how to safely and efficiently use them; but my Internet searches so far haven't been very successful. Even some photos would be greatly appreciated...

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #2  
I suggest you next install at 3/8" clevis mount chain grab hook on your rear/center drawbar.

It is tempting to thrust the FEL into underbrush, noose a log to the bucket grab hook, then back out, which can bend the FEL.

If you have a clevis mount chain grab hook on your rear/center drawbar you will be likely to use it, correctly, for pulling heavy loads.

I have 5/16" chain grab hooks on my tractor.

I keep two lengths of Grade 70, 5/16" chain on my tractor, one length 8' the second length 12'

One end of each chain bears a Grade 70, Forestry/Choke Hook, the other end of each a Grade 70 chain Grab Hook.

The Forestry Hook is used to noose logs. The Grab Hooks are used to link the two chain together when necessary, hook to link, not hook to hook. Linking two chains is a rare event. I use the 8' length more than the 12' length.

15/16" chain is much lighter than 3/8" chain. Your L3901 cannot possibly break Grade 70, 5/16" chain in good condition. 5/16" chain is completely secure in 3/8" chain Grab Hooks. Lowe's and Home Depot are inexpensive sources for Grade 70, 5/16" chain. They sell a 20' length, with four grab hooks, in a bag in the Transport subsection of Hardware. Have them cut the chain in 8'/12' lengths in the store. Tough to cut at home.

LINK TO FORESTRY HOOK: Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Accessories>>=

LINK TO CENTER DRAWBAR: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/376755-rear-center-tractor-drawbar-use.html

Attachments

• DSC00540.JPG
    DSC00540.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 776
  • DSC00514.JPG
    DSC00514.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,200
Last edited:
   / Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #3  
Heavy work should be equally balanced between hooks to avoid twisting / tweaking the loader / loader frame from greater torque or weight being concentrated on one side.

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #4  
When unloading a pallet (bucket full of concrete bags, pavers, etc.) from a pickup truck bed or a delivery truck, have a maximum counterweight loaded on the Three Point Hitch. Usually at least 75% of the anticipated FEL load, 80% better.

Lift the load just an inch or two without moving the tractor.

Have an assistant carefully drive the delivery vehicle out from under the load.

WITHOUT MOVING THE TRACTOR lower the FEL load to 2" above the ground.

Proceed slowly.

Field Cultivator weight, less pallet, 275 pounds.

ETA Cultipacker mounted on Three Point Hitch as FEL counterbalance, 700 pounds.

Attachments

• DSC00344.jpg
    DSC00344.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 427
  • DSC00345.jpg
    DSC00345.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 555
   / Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #5  
You can easily cut even heavy chain with a cutoff wheel in your angle grinder.

p.s. Use a good full-face shield.

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #6  
jeff9366 Is the reason you put the hitch pin in from the bottom of the draw bar just to make it easier to insert the clip? Or anything else?

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #7  
I do the opposite. I always put a hitch pin in from the top. If a sapling or brush happens to snag the clip and pull it out, the pin won't drop out. Extremely important when pulling a wheeled implement or hay wagon up hill. Not so much when just skidding logs, accept for finding the lost pin.

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #8  
jeff9366 Is the reason you put the hitch pin in from the bottom of the draw bar just to make it easier to insert the clip? Or anything else?

I believe the clip is better protected from being pulled out when positioned above.

I think tomorrow I will replace the hairpin clip with a small bolt and ny-lock nut, or cotter pin, for greater security.

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #9  
If you're thinking about how to safely use the hooks for lifting you are way ahead of the game. For lifting with chain, I generally roll the bucket enough to capture the hook properly as well as clear the cutting edge of the bucket. Applying the load equally on the loader arms will minimize the risk of damage, and is good practice in general.

For lifting things I don't want to scratch up with chains, I use short axle straps on the load clipped onto the chain going to the loader.

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #10  
You can easily cut even heavy chain with a cutoff wheel in your angle grinder.

I do not have an angle grinder. Does the OP have an angle grinder?

Lowe's or Home Depot will cut the chain at no charge if requested.