Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks?

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #11  
I couldn't survive without an angle grinder. Go down to Harbor freight and get a cheap 4.5 inch one, and a pack of 1/16 cut off wheels. Very cheap and extremely useful. Just make sure to use safety stuff. A cutoff wheel got me down to the bone one time.

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #12  
Hi folks,

Sold on the utility of bucket hooks, I got some and had them installed: a 5/8" grab hook on each side with a slip hook in the middle. Now I'm wondering exactly how (and how not) to use them, to maximize efficiency and safety.

I know that grab hooks are typically used with chain for securing, lifting and dragging, while the slip hook is typically used with straps. And I know that with grab hooks, the chain link should rest inside the hook, rather than being skewered on the tip. But I'd appreciate further advice on what works best to secure the load, whether the bottom of the bucket should be parallel to the ground or curled, which jobs are within the scope of my tractor/loader (Kubota L3901 HST/LA525 loader) and which are a prelude to disaster, that sort of thing.

Since chains and straps are used every day in industry, surely there must be a ton of literature on how to safely and efficiently use them; but my Internet searches so far haven't been very successful. Even some photos would be greatly appreciated...

With hooks on your bucket you need to be careful when tilting the bucket as to not dump out the chain. You want the open end of the hook pointed up. I had to be particularly mindful of this when I had hooks welded on my backhoe bucket.

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #13  
Heavy work should be equally balanced between hooks to avoid twisting / tweaking the loader / loader frame from greater torque or weight being concentrated on one side.

Square1 is right on. It is tempting to go into some corner or such and pull fence posts with the corner of the bucket. Bad Idea.
best to make pull from your center hook on a heavy nasty pull. If it is a light pull you can get away with it, but you might find yourself a leeeetle bit airborne on the opposite side rear tire.

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #14  
For sure on the middle. I really only use end hooks if I am using both at he same time

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #15  
I believe the clip is better protected from being pulled out when positioned above.

I think tomorrow I will replace the hairpin clip with a small bolt and ny-lock nut, or cotter pin, for greater security.

That is my thinking also.. Sticks and vines cant get to the pin to snag it out. I have had internal arguments with myself about the stick the pin in from the top and gravity will hold it there and my current thinking of if the pin cannot be snagged out because the brush cannot get to it, the pin will never fall out. The small bolt and nylock net doesn't seem like a bad idea either.

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #16  
For sure on the middle. I really only use end hooks if I am using both at he same time

Even if you don't have a center hook, you can put a short chain across two end hooks and then take your pull chain and hook it in the center of the short chain, this will distribute the load.

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #17  
I have a slip hook in the middle and grab hooks on the sides.

What I do is try to pull/lift from the center. I pass my chain through the slip hook and into one of the grab hooks. Granted this puts a little side pull on the grab hook, but almost nothing as the chain is doing a 90 degree turn around the slip hook.

Been doing it this way for years. No issues and works very well.

There may be times when I use both grab hooks plus the chain to lift something. All depends on what one needs to do.

I think you did it right by putting a slip hook in the middle and grab hooks on the sides. I would not change my set up, which is exactly what you have.

Bill

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #18  
I'm fairly new at this, but I have a hook on each side of the bucket and one in the middle. I was told to stop using the middle hook, as it could much more easily deform the bucket. So now I attach a short section of chain to both side hooks, then hook in the center of that to the load. Overkill?

/ Appropriate Ways to Use Bucket Hooks? #19  
I'm fairly new at this, but I have a hook on each side of the bucket and one in the middle. I was told to stop using the middle hook, as it could much more easily deform the bucket. So now I attach a short section of chain to both side hooks, then hook in the center of that to the load. Overkill?

I mentioned the short chain between hooks method as a method of equalizing a load to both sides of the bucket to prevent "torquing" your FEL arms by attempting a hard pull or heavy lift from one hook only. If you grab hook into the center of the short chain you apply load to both sides of the bucket and both FEL arms. Sure there is some side load to the hooks on the ends but the way I weld them they ain't gonna break off. With a single hook in the center welded to your upper sheet metal of the bucket, it "may" just might possibly bend a U in the top of the bucket. It it is reinforced it wont'. You always have to use common sense in any rigging of loads and decide what is safe, what is over or under engineered. Sometimes we learn by making mistakes. We are all inclined to not make mistakes, but a mistake that is learned by opening your wallet to make it right, in a mistake not easily forgotten.

Many loaders relief valve would max out before a center hook would bend the bucket, especially if it was reinforced with a "chair" going down to the rest of the bucket or a vertical shim under the top lip. One way to find out. :)