Float position?

/ Float position? #1  

sparkle

I'll tried to put the loader of my L5030 in float position but didn't seem to find it. The drawing in my manual shows a forward movement (arrow) and what looks like more forward for float position. When I try this out the loader lifts the nose of the tractor up. I'm probably missing something simple but didn't figure it out yet. Can someone help me out?

/ Float position? #2  
The float position is a "detent", it requires a sharp, quick motion forward to get it to snap into the detent. You will probably have to push harder than you think you should, but you won't break it:D

/ Float position? #3  
kennyd is correct, you should feel as little resistance before it pops into float position. The lever will remain in float because of the detent.

/ Float position? #4  
as they say, quick hard push past the detent ...faster is better because, as you say, you are lifting the tractor and when you cross the detent into float, down will come the tractor, so the less high up it has had a chance to rise, the better. of course, there could be a problem with the detent, but the usual problem is slipping out of detent, ...I probably have a picture of the detent arrangement if you need it

/ Float position?
Thanks all of you. You are right, I was too carefull.It works well now!

/ Float position? #6  
Is this the LA853? Gotta try that...

-Brian

/ Float position? #7  
It took me two years to figure that with my Kubota!!!!

(and I am not kidding)

/ Float position? #8  
Yep, n8wrl, that's the way it works. Place bucket just on ground, fast sharp motion forward and it goes over a hard spot into the float position til you pull it out.

/ Float position? #9  
Excellent - thanks, texasjohn! I'll try that this weekend.

-Brian n8wrl

/ Float position? #10  
Ok...I'm going to resurrect this thread from the past because I've tried doing a search on the forum and still have a question about "float" on an FEL. I keep hearing the term "float" being discussed, but can't quite figure out what it is? Basically...can someone describe in layman's terms what it means and how it's used?

Ultimately I'm hoping to get educated on the best technique for using the FEL as tool for back-dragging to smooth out an area.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jim H.

Oh yea...tractor is New Holland TC40 w/16LA loader.