Float position?

/ Float position? #11  
Float means that the FEL will follow the ground, just like the 3pt. does when you float it. If you put your bucket flat on the ground and then push your control into the float detent and then backup your bucket will stay on the ground regardless of what your tractor does. When you smooth or backfill, you put the bucket on the ground flat, float the FEL, and then roll the bucket (dump) to get some angle on the bottom (by raising the heel). You'll notice your FEL arms raise up when you roll the bucket. Check your owner's manual as most specify ~ 40 degrees or less for the angle. As you back up, the weight of the FEL will keep the bucket cutting edge on the ground and there will be a smooth path behind it. The amount of angle determines how much material you move as you're backing: less angle and it will flatten more than drag and vice-versa...

/ Float position? #12  
Float position puts the up down hydraulics in neutral. In other words there is no hydraulic pressure. So the loader,blade or any implement connected to the SCV will "float" on whatever surface it is contacting. Example would be a front blade in float following the contours of a road while blading snow. The same can be done with a front loader. Usually done when backdragging, but can be used in other applications.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,Dirt

/ Float position? #13  
Hi Megado!
I use the float position all the time with my front end blower (on my B7800). It's a position that allows the blower to "float" over the contour of the land...doesn't dig in. Usually take mine a little time to warm up. I don't think that's serious though.

/ Float position? #14  
One more thing: make sure your bucket is on the ground BEFORE you put the loader in float. If you have it raised, it will freefall and slam down...

/ Float position? #15  
bjcsc said:
One more thing: make sure your bucket is on the ground BEFORE you put the loader in float. If you have it raised, it will freefall and slam down...

Yours "slams down"?

Mine and others I have operated go down at a controlled rate as the fluid escapes the cylinders. In fact I often suggest practicing finding the float detent with the bucket about 3' up to prevent doing wheelies.

/ Float position? #16  
Sure does. I tried it once with the bucket ~8" from the ground (just to see what would happen) and it hit the ground hard. I wouldn't even think about it at 3'...

My bucket weighs ~730lbs...

/ Float position? #17  
I agree with KennyD. I would not think it should slam, no matter what the bucket weighs. Have you ever asked the dealer or is this an expectation of the model you have?

/ Float position? #18  
Doesn't sound right to me, I know mine has a small restrictor in the return line QD.

/ Float position? #19  
Yeah, I engage float with the bucket off the ground to avoid the bucking that will occur as you pass through the down pressure position on the valve. Mine falls slowly, no problem.
I suggest to newbies to practice with the bucket off the ground a couple of feet also, they tend to hesitate and with the bucket on the ground the the down pressure lifts the front of the tractor in the air (wheelies, like Kennyd says) then if they do get in the float detente the tractor WILL slam down, happens to me sometimes, that will scare a newbie for sure.

Maybe his is slamming because the bucket is full with snow or dirt, then it would come down hard.

/ Float position? #20  
Well, now you guys have me interested in retesting it. If it wasn't dark and about to rain...

The bucket was empty. What is "snow"?...;)

I checked in my manual to see if I could find any reference to it and it states:

"Caution: Do not move the loader multi-function control lever to "FLOAT" to lower the loader. Loss of control results and the loader will fall to the ground due to its own weight."

Next time I'm out there I'll try it out from a little higher up and see what happens...