Driving across public ways

/ Driving across public ways #11  
What's wrong with MD? I lived there for most of my life before moving a few miles across the state line to PA and never had any problems. The last time I checked in both PA and MD all you need is a reflective triangle on the back and flashing light's.

/ Driving across public ways #12  
Go to the registry and ask them what type of license plates your tractor might qualify for. A strange thing happened when I was living in MA. The police stopped a fellow that was plowing a shopping center parking lot and gave him a ticket for not having license plates on the machine. He told the judge that he was on private property and he believed that he didn't need them. The machine was trailered to the site and taken away the same way. The judge informed him that even though it was private property, that since the public was invited into the parking lot to go to the stores, that the same laws applied as if it were a public road. Guilty, and pay the fine. Based on what that judge said, I have come to the conclusion that all private land is public land, unless it is posted with no trespassing signs, and the police can enter upon it without a search warrant. I might be wrong, but this is my own assessment of how it works.
Dusty

/ Driving across public ways
AndyM said:
Why do you think I'm trying to move over into West Virginia? :) Life is better down there! ;) Check this out... This probably doesn't happen in the PRT! :D

No... It sure doesn't. :( How's the clam chowda down there? :confused:

Dougster

/ Driving across public ways #14  
DieselPower said:
What's wrong with MD? .

Aaahhh, Where to start? High property tax, intrusive government, too many laws, crooked smog testing, no 2nd ammendment rights, pets arent allowed in state parks. building permits for anything and everything.
thats just off the top of my head. Im sure theres more.

Dusty said:
Go to the registry and ask them what type of license plates your tractor might qualify for. A strange thing happened when I was living in MA. The police stopped a fellow that was plowing a shopping center parking lot and gave him a ticket for not having license plates on the machine. He told the judge that he was on private property and he believed that he didn't need them. The machine was trailered to the site and taken away the same way. The judge informed him that even though it was private property, that since the public was invited into the parking lot to go to the stores, that the same laws applied as if it were a public road. Guilty, and pay the fine. Based on what that judge said, I have come to the conclusion that all private land is public land, unless it is posted with no trespassing signs, and the police can enter upon it without a search warrant. I might be wrong, but this is my own assessment of how it works.
Dusty

See? :( Folks think I am making this stuff up or that I have gone paranoid. Folks also thought I was crazy when I wrote that I needed a CDL medical exam certificate and something called a "hoister's license" to legally use my Mahindra tractor on my own property. Entire process took me more than 3 months, $125.00 in various fees, passing a written exam and waiting for the wheels of government to turn before I had the license in hand and could legally drive my own tractor on my own property.

Dougster

/ Driving across public ways #16  
Dougster said:
See? :( Folks think I am making this stuff up or that I have gone paranoid. Folks also thought I was crazy when I wrote that I needed a CDL medical exam certificate and something called a "hoister's license" to legally use my Mahindra tractor on my own property. Entire process took me more than 3 months, $125.00 in various fees, passing a written exam and waiting for the wheels of government to turn before I had the license in hand and could legally drive my own tractor on my own property.

Dougster

Appartently you guys up in Ma dont have "private property". Whats the point in even owning land, just rent and let someone else deal with it.

/ Driving across public ways #17  
Dougster said:

Dougster

I think that they hoisted you for $125!! Guess that Ma gets there money othe old fashioned way..... they steal it from you. Here is another thread about this....
Dusty

RayH said:
Appartently you guys up in Ma dont have "private property". Whats the point in even owning land, just rent and let someone else deal with it.

I know :( It's embarrassing. Why do you think we are the only state that's actually losing population... this despite the fact that we are up to our behinds in illegal aliens. :(

Dougster

Dusty said:
I think that they hoisted you for $125!! Guess that Ma gets there money othe old fashioned way..... they steal it from you. Here is another thread about this....
Dusty

$75.00 was for the PRT... $50 was for the medical exam.

Thanks for that other thread. Somehow it makes it easier when I see that others share my pain. :)

Dougster

/ Driving across public ways #20  
Dusty said:
I have come to the conclusion that all private land is public land, unless it is posted with no trespassing signs, and the police can enter upon it without a search warrant. I might be wrong, but this is my own assessment of how it works.
Dusty

That may be true some places. Around here, businesses and residentual are seperated by the use. If you have a business property, its assumed that you have invited the general public onto the land so that they may use the land, except in a way you specify they can not. Thats why there are always speed limit signs and an loitering, no soliciting, no overnight parking, etc signs all over the place.
Residential laws assume that, while the public is still invited, as in no "no trespassing" signs, they are not invited to "use" the land unless you tell them specifically they may do so.
State, federal and local laws override any of the laws or land ownership.