Socket wrench for square head machine bolt

/ Socket wrench for square head machine bolt #12  
I think you can use 12 pt. sockets on square head bolts and nuts. Tey would be cheaper than anything else more than likely.

Solo

/ Socket wrench for square head machine bolt #13  
All you will do with a 12 point socket is round the head off. Not enough contact area. Get the proper 8 point socket. Last time I checked Sears still offered 1/2 inch drive Craftsman 8 point sockets. Think I might even have some in one of my tool box's.

/ Socket wrench for square head machine bolt #14  
According to this page of the current sears catalog, the largest 8 point 1/2 drive socket they offer is 3/4"

Sears

Andy

/ Socket wrench for square head machine bolt #15  
The site AndyMA linked has one....for a mere $27 unless you need a deep one and they are $49 :eek:

/ Socket wrench for square head machine bolt #16  
Skyco said:
The site AndyMA linked has one....for a mere $27 unless you need a deep one and they are $49 :eek:

Unfortunately larger size tools tend to be more expensive.

Andy

/ Socket wrench for square head machine bolt #17  
flusher said:
Anyone out there know where I can find a socket made specifically for a square head machine bolt that is 1" square?

I'm renovating an old offset disc and these square head bolts are inaccessible to a cresent wrench or an open end wrench. Don't want to use a standard socket since I suspect that all I'll do is round off the corners of the nut and bolt head.

ANY 1" drive socket used backwards oughta work. You can use a couple hex nuts welded together to couple to the ratchet socket.
larry

/ Socket wrench for square head machine bolt #18  
flusher said:
Anyone out there know where I can find a socket made specifically for a square head machine bolt that is 1" square?

I'm renovating an old offset disc and these square head bolts are inaccessible to a cresent wrench or an open end wrench. Don't want to use a standard socket since I suspect that all I'll do is round off the corners of the nut and bolt head.

I may have one; I'll check tomorrow. If I do, and you can wait that long, I'll send it to you.

/ Socket wrench for square head machine bolt
cp1969 said:
I may have one; I'll check tomorrow. If I do, and you can wait that long, I'll send it to you.

Thanks. No problem.

/ Socket wrench for square head machine bolt
SPYDERLK said:
ANY 1" drive socket used backwards oughta work. You can use a couple hex nuts welded together to couple to the ratchet socket.
larry

Neat idea.