Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,891  
They have a ways to go. Since there's only one sort of close (3 hours each way) that's all I can base my impression on. First, the shopping carts look like they came from a Chinese grocery store. They are about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of a normal cart. Yes it's minor but it's the first impression and you know what they say about first impressions. Then there's the whole "lot number". Stop using the word "lot" and start using "item". Next, stop using those Chinese boxes, tan cardboard should stay in the backroom. While on the subject of boxes, make the Chinese package things better. There's nothing like seeing a poorly packaged product that moved during shipping and has torn the box leaving the buyer to wonder if everything is still in the box.

If HF wants to move beyond being a discount tool store it needs to change it's image.

Do not know what carts at a Chinese grocery store look like but I just made a 100 round trip as an excuse to visit our most local store to get the free Labor Day VOM that cost me $137 to get out of the store and the cart was not too full. The carts are just the right size so two can pass.

Ours is in an old party market store with good access and nice restrooms required after a long drive if drank a lot of senior coffee at your favorite fast food joint.

I agree they tend to be over stocked by some standards but southern rural rednecks love touching tools and the more the merrier. :)

We tend to think of Ambiance of HF stores and the poorly packaged products as a good thing because after we get all greasy working on our old equipment expensive store Ambiance and packaging don't make us no never mind. :thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,892  
Sawmill -
They used to sell a sawmill which was actually mad by a fairly well known sawmill manufacturer - Hud-Son.
underpowered, very light frame, but with 20% off only came to about $1,700. Half the price of a Woodmizer.
Finally found several reports of users of it on arboristsite and it was well worth the $$.

They have switched mfg and it is now a copy of a canadian sawmill. just read some recent reports from a couple users and they say it's great for the price they are getting it for; Portable Saw Mill w/ 7 HP Gas Engine

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,893  
I'll go along with liking the ambiance of the stores. It's an odd and eclectic mix of cheap cardboard boxes and low priced tools with some bargains and some not so bargains. Some quality for the money and some not worth it at half the price. Having lived over 60 years and paying attention, I do believe we will look back on this era of shopping at Harbor Freight and will fondly recall the "good old days". The quality of the hand tools is rapidly improving yet the price is still reasonable or even cheap.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,894  
And sometimes you can find the identical tool in a pretty box at Sears for 3 times the price.

Bruce

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,895  
sometimes you can find the identical tool in a pretty box at Sears for 3 times the price.
Yep. And it works the other way too. I bought the identical clone of HF's table saw at Lowes - with Skil's trademark painted on it. Lowes included a free stand, that HF charged an extra $30 for, making Lowes overall price lower. Home Depot's Ryobi and Sears' Wen table saws also look identical. Checking just now, HD's Ryobi costs even less than what I paid while Sears' Wen is 40% more.

I would say HF is an equal competitor to the big boys in this example.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,896  
Today I noticed some items at HF that seemed high to me today. They may be items they are requested to carry by customers to keep them from shopping other places but HF is not sourcing them directly for one reason or another. I was pleased with the $27 24" adjustable wrench that I picked up today based on its look and feel. Picked up several blister packs of tools for under $10.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,897  
Based on what I read here, I bought the blue, thirty dollar, paddle switch angle grinder. On a hunch, I opened the head up to see if it had grease. There was a glob of grease in there, but it was stuck back in the head in such a way that it wouldn't ever contact the gears and spread out. I manually smeared it on the gears. A word of advice!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,898  
Based on what I read here, I bought the blue, thirty dollar, paddle switch angle grinder. On a hunch, I opened the head up to see if it had grease. There was a glob of grease in there, but it was stuck back in the head in such a way that it wouldn't ever contact the gears and spread out. I manually smeared it on the gears. A word of advice!

Good tip. HF tools should come with an asterisk

* Some dis-assembly and proper reassembly required :laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,899  
I bought the 10" tile and brick saw a few years ago. I have replaced the supplied diamond blade after a few bathroom and kitchen remodels and it is still going strong. So far, 3 kitchens floors, 4 kitchen back splashes, 1 kitchen counter, 4 bathrooms (walls and floors). And it was $199. This has truly been a diamond in the rough.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,900  

Not to worry - when it overheats the grease will start to run & get spread around.