Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,571  
I don't have a store real close to me but I noticed that one opened up about 60 miles from me so one day I drive up there only to find out it won't open til February.
Obviously I was a little ticked off and fired off an email to the CS dept. I get some form letter back saying that they don't have a phone # yet for that store due to it not being open yet.

Were you talking about the one coming to Littleton? No mention about it on their website, but there's an old strip mall building that's being renovated with a sign "HF Coming Soon!". Drove past there today and they're working on it.
I'm looking forward to it...closest one to me now is in Nashua, that's a good 2½ hr. drive (each way).

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,572  
Were you talking about the one coming to Littleton? No mention about it on their website, but there's an old strip mall building that's being renovated with a sign "HF Coming Soon!". Drove past there today and they're working on it. I'm looking forward to it...closest one to me now is in Nashua, that's a good 2½ hr. drive (each way).

Yes, Littleton is the store and I saw the strip plaza where they'll end up but it shouldn't say my store. Notice the top where it says your store.

Here's the welder that I'm going to learn on and expect it any day.

Attachments

• image-2791548954.jpg
    image-2791548954.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 167
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,573  
Thanks for all the feed back on the storage boxes. HF can be a hit or miss sometimes

I have the Milwaukee 2763 cordless along with some other models so I'm not looking for a powerful 1/2 air impact wrench but just about a week ago back on 11/25 Real Tool tested and published online their review of HF's newest Earthquake XT 1/2 gun and the Snap On MG725 which HF is comparing it to in their recent advertisements

Snap-on - VS - Harbor Freight ( MG725 / Earthquake XT ) 1/2" Impact Wrenches - YouTube

That really stirred the pot with brand loyalists

And so today's followup video...

Brand loyalty :)

Brand Loyalty -VS- PRICE $$$ (Snap on, Harbor Freight, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita, MAC, Matco) - YouTube

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,574  
Were you talking about the one coming to Littleton? No mention about it on their website, but there's an old strip mall building that's being renovated with a sign "HF Coming Soon!". Drove past there today and they're working on it.
I'm looking forward to it...closest one to me now is in Nashua, that's a good 2½ hr. drive (each way).

Littleton?! Nice! 1hr drive vs 1.25hrs to Nashua. And a much more relaxing drive. :thumbsup: Thanks for mentioning it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,575  
Yes, Littleton is the store and I saw the strip plaza where they'll end up but it shouldn't say my store. Notice the top where it says your store.

Mine defaults to Auburn, Me. If I enter my town it gives me a choice of 2 stores in Maine, one in Plattsburgh, N.Y. and one in Manchester. Littleton isn't an option. Weird how it shows up for you but not me.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,576  
Here's the welder that I'm going to learn on and expect it any day.

I've always admired that little inverter stick machine although I've never used it. 80amps out of a lunch box is really going to be useful for small projects. I don't think ShieldArc would choose one to rebuild the Tacoma Narrows bridges but for sheet metal and 1/8" or so it should be great. And, for those who are not familiar with it, it truly is the size and weight of a lunch box. The next closest thing in size is probably the Miller Maxstar which gives you twice the power but also four times the weight and ten times the price. I had one of the Maxstars and used it quite often at 80amps or less. Keep us posted on how you do learning with it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,577  
I just bought the earthquake, haven't used it yet.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,578  
on 11/25 Real Tool tested and published online their review of HF's newest Earthquake XT 1/2 gun and the Snap On MG725 which HF is comparing it to in their recent advertisements

Snap-on - VS - Harbor Freight ( MG725 / Earthquake XT ) 1/2" Impact Wrenches - YouTube

That really stirred the pot with brand loyalists
Darn it that led me off into a 3 hour review of videos linked from there. Where did this evening go? :laughing: I ended the evening with a welding instructor demonstrating no difference between Lincoln and HF flux-core wire on weld . com.

I was surprised the $129 (coupon) HF Earthquake XT and the similar $500+ Snap On tested identical. You would need to pay extra for the HF 2 year warranty to match Snap On's but on the other hand you could just buy a couple extra for spares and still be under the Snap On cost.

Going down through the comments was interesting: many owners of the Snap On had their tool fail early on, then they had to wait for the truck to come around again before they got a warranty exchange. There were fewer owners of this new HF model but failures of the existing HF Earthquake seemed to be much rarer according to the comments. The reviewer pointed out with the HF you don't need to be down waiting for the truck to come around, just stop by HF for a warranty exchange or replacement and get back to work. I'll add to that - if I worked someplace where I would get canned if I couldn't keep up production, I would keep a spare HF out in the car and run get that instead of waiting a week for the tool truck to arrive and replace my 'pride-of-ownership' $500 Snap On.

Another factor I didn't see emphasized like I thought it should be: The HF with identical capability weighs a half pound less than the 5 lb Snap On. After long ago swinging a framing hammer nonstop during every 8 hour shift I was employed, I'll ALWAYS go for the tool that beats me up less. A lighter tool with the same capability is going to look more and more attractive as the day progresses.

The 'brand loyalists' were interesting. Arguments pro were inevitable. Arguments against brand loyalty pointed out you could probably retire years sooner if you bought by specs alone and banked the savings.

One more anti-Snap On point was made, I can't believe this is real: Many of the sales off the Snap On truck are on revolving credit with a nasty catch in the contract: Once you start the credit contract if you lose your job and can't pay for the most recent stuff added to the contract, they will repo everything you ever bought under that contract from the beginning regardless of how much you have paid in. The contract itself is declared broken and all purchases recoverable. Wow. Not sure I would want to support a company like that - assuming that the commenter knew what he was talking about.

Since this is a HF thread I'll summarize that the reviewer showed HF's new Earthquake XT is at least a strong competitor to Snap On in a commercial environment, and probably a better choice due to cost in any less critical use.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,579  
I just bought the earthquake, haven't used it yet.

Congratulations. You will love it.

I was in yesterday with an Earthquake coupon and also bought one. I have one of the early versions that is a little less user friendly so I'll sell that one for an "upgrade". Hold on tight when on max power. Sometimes when trying to loosen something large, stubborn and rusty, I just spray a little oil in the socket to aid removal and just snap the bolt off. You will have power to spare.

The only joke is the little bottle of lube oil it comes with. Who knows what that is.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,580  
For the earthquake will 15 amp in be OK?