Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,771  
I have this air compressor from HF....
21 gal. 2.5 HP 125 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor

It is absolutely the loudest air compressor I've ever heard
Ditto. That identical motor/compressor is on my HF 10 gallon horizontal compressor, a recent previous model. It is unpleasantly loud.

And the shroud on mine is open toward the regulator which megaphones the sound out where you are working. Good design in that you see the oil level every time you turn the switch on, but man what a racket.

I see the present version 2.5hp/10 gallon has the shroud pointed away from the regulator. Maybe that's a little quieter but who is going to roll the compressor out of the corner of the shop (where you put it because its so darn loud) to look at the oil sight glass?
62441_zzz_500.jpg

Incidentally I found a Youtube demo of the 2.5hp/10 gallon compressor and the guy seriously misses the point. Like my experience, that compressor won't power HF's $30 impact wrench but it is because that tool sucks too much air. My solution was I got rid of that impact wrench and bought the $80 Earthquake model. This works beautifully. I can do several lugnuts before it kicks in and the torque is incredible. That reviewer doesn't realize his problem is the inexpensive and air-hungry impact wrench he is trying demo. I see HF no longer sells that model.

That reviewer also says 2.5hp/10 gallon is insufficient for spray painting but he hasn't tried it. Wrong, it powers HF's $10 HVLP spray gun beautifully. We primed then put a gallon of white Rustoleum on lawn furniture recently (photo) with this combination. It paints for quite a while before it kicks in, and recovers in under a minute while you continue to spray without stopping.
image_21036.jpg

Finally this compressor ran my old Porter Cable framing nailer at the far end of a long air hose just fine.

Overall, the 2.5hp/10 gallon rig meets my needs. I just wish it wasn't so loud.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,772  
That reviewer also says 2.5hp/10 gallon is insufficient for spray painting but he hasn't tried it. Wrong, it powers HF's $10 HVLP spray gun beautifully. We primed then put a gallon of white Rustoleum on lawn furniture recently (photo) with this combination. It paints for quite a while before it kicks in, and recovers in under a minute while you continue to spray without stopping.
image_21036.jpg

Finally this compressor ran my old Porter Cable framing nailer at the far end of a long air hose just fine.

Overall, the 2.5hp/10 gallon rig meets my needs. I just wish it wasn't so loud.
Question, do you thin your paints when using the HF cheapo HVLP gun? If so, just a little or a lot?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,773  
Question, do you thin your paints when using the HF cheapo HVLP gun? If so, just a little or a lot?
My son-in law is a professional artist. He tried various small samples to get what seemed right to him. It looked to me to be about Rustoleum (thick) paint + 20% ordinary paint thinner.

Incidentally he said he had worked with many spray guns and this HF cheapie was surprisingly good, a more expensive gun wouldn't improve anything and might require a higher volume of air.

A couple of tips: I've read that too much thinner reduces gloss to flat (as well as being runny). Also we were priming mixing various half-used cans of red Rustoleum and strained the paint at every step, particularly as it went into the gun's cup. Even the fresh white Rustoleum for the finish coat had a little debris in it. HF's conical filters, the finest mesh, worked great. For working alone their stand (heavy wire) to hold the filter would be helpful. And a filter/water trap in the air line is essential. I use HF's better, $35 one.
image_14003.jpg

Added - I see that reviews on HF's site note a problem I had to remedy with that filter/water trap. As HF says, 'Some Assembly Required'. :) I found the plumbing joints loose and leaky on that unit. I disassembled it and used teflon tape to reassemble, then no more hissing. It's a quality unit after it is brought up to spec like it should have been in the first place.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,774  
Thank you, thank you for your great response. I don't spray a lot but I never know what I am doing with thinners. I am assuming you/SIL are using paint thinner vs. lacquer thinner or other? The 20% is a good tip. I do have a water separator and would like to improve so air is mostly dry. Will upgrade with additional HF unit in line to catch more moisture downstream. My filter is next to compressor. I want another one and close to tool so moisture in pipe or hose is captured.

On your 'tweaking' of the sprayer with a slight tear down and tape. I do something similar with my cheapo HF grinders. These are $10 on sale but need to take gear housing off and replace the grease (what little there is) and pack with quality grease. Big improvement.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,775  
Didn't need to tweak the spray gun, it was flawless. That filter/water trap in contrast was thrown together with joints just past finger-tight so it hissed from several places.

Yes, just paint thinner. On that cast iron lawn furniture there aren't any flat areas that need an automotive-quality mirror finish so I don't know that premium materials would improve anything.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,776  

I thin mine and you have to. The 20% number works and sometimes a little more, depending on the paint. You have to see how it sprays and the temp, etc.

While the HF "el cheapo" HVLP is low priced, don't let the price fool you. It is a quality paint gun that would score high in a blind test. I have seen these guns in some high end paint shops that can afford whatever they want.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,777  
I thin mine and you have to. The 20% number works and sometimes a little more, depending on the paint. You have to see how it sprays and the temp, etc.

While the HF "el cheapo" HVLP is low priced, don't let the price fool you. It is a quality paint gun that would score high in a blind test. I have seen these guns in some high end paint shops that can afford whatever they want.

No matter what kind of spray gun used all paints need thinning, they even sell a device to calibrate the consistency however experienced painters can usually judge by simply pouring out a bit into the pot.
It is all about 'thin enough to spray without running'. Other factors get involved such as driers, hardeners etc etc.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,778  
... they even sell a device to calibrate the consistency however experienced painters can usually judge by simply pouring out a bit into the pot.
Paint Viscosity Gauge.
PaintViscosityGauge.jpg

My son in law, an artist, has the experience to blend a trial batch then fine-tune after spraying a sample onto a flat surface. If I had to start from scratch I would use this gauge to get in the ballpark.

It should be available at any paint store.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,779  
No matter what kind of spray gun used all paints need thinning, they even sell a device to calibrate the consistency however experienced painters can usually judge by simply pouring out a bit into the pot.
It is all about 'thin enough to spray without running'. Other factors get involved such as driers, hardeners etc etc.
This has always been my problem with my spray gun and 2gal pressure pot. I finally sold it because of its bulk and hassle. I haven't played much at all with small HVLP guns and was wondering if it performed the same with regard to thinning.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,780  
Paint Viscosity Gauge.
View attachment 495765

My son in law, an artist, has the experience to blend a trial batch then fine-tune after spraying a sample onto a flat surface. If I had to start from scratch I would use this gauge to get in the ballpark.

It should be available at any paint store.
Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy the paint with the correct viscosity for spraying? Wondering if the paint store would do it for you if you asked? I hate dicking around with stuff like that.