Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,231  
The plastic auto ramps work great for the ztr mower. Easy to get under the deck to change or sharpen blades and they are the perfect height for getting the mower in and out of the storage container.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,232  
HF Compressor Auto-Drain Questions

Hi, is anyone using [one of] these?

https://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-68244.html

I have a question about the installation process.

20180616_193624.jpg20180616_193643.jpg20180616_193655.jpg20180616_193717.jpg20180616_193732.jpg20180616_193750.jpg20180616_193803.jpg20180616_193813.jpg

There is a threaded port in the side of the the brass main valve, and despite close attention to the [as usual] poorly explained directions, I cannot figure out what, if anything, gets attached there....

And as cheap as they are, I can't believe they threaded it if nothing was meant to attach there...

I know that the ends get attached to the new drain at the compressor, and the drainage tubing, but all of the drawings apparently show that fitting from the other [opposite] view.

My thanks in advance, if anyone has any helpful suggestions.

PA

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,233  
Re: HF Compressor Auto-Drain Questions

I think the threaded hole in the side of the valve is where the condensed air blows out when the valve opens. You may thread in a drain line if you wish. The poly tubing and tee run up to, and splice into the blow down tube, making it blow automatically.

Mine is electric from Quincy so I don't know much about yours.
This guy may help some.

harbor freight auto compressor drain install - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,234  

View attachment 559724View attachment 559725View attachment 559726View attachment 559727View attachment 559728View attachment 559729View attachment 559730View attachment 559731

There is a threaded port in the side of the the brass main valve, and despite close attention to the [as usual] poorly explained directions, I cannot figure out what, if anything, gets attached there....

And as cheap as they are, I can't believe they threaded it if nothing was meant to attach there...

I know that the ends get attached to the new drain at the compressor, and the drainage tubing, but all of the drawings apparently show that fitting from the other [opposite] view.

PA

I bought one, got seriously disappointed and threw it out. Decided to make my own and am far happier. At the end of the day I turn a valve on the end to vent water into an old paper cup and it's that easy. I think I got the simple instructions off the net or YouTube or possibly TBN. My home made one has been on 10 years no with no issues.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,235  

I think the threaded hole in the side of the valve is where the condensed air blows out when the valve opens. You may thread in a drain line if you wish. The poly tubing and tee run up to, and splice into the blow down tube, making it blow automatically.

Mine is electric from Quincy so I don't know much about yours.
This guy may help some.

harbor freight auto compressor drain install - YouTube

Hey BigT & SxD,

Thanks for the input.

The vid also linked to several other HF Auto-drain videos, so I'll get a look at them too, and it should be OK-

I doubt it's Rocket Surgery or Brain Science.

Thanks again,

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,236  
Heheheheheheh :thumbsup: I see what you did there....

Also as relates your other posts re: Pry bar modification/enhancement/customization by PTO and Weld technique- it was just lucky nothing else broke, and it's obvious that you weren't wearing your magnetic hat that day, or you might not be here to post.

How far away did you find the pieces?
One piece was still on the bushhog and the longer piece was about 20 feet away.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,237  

View attachment 559724View attachment 559725View attachment 559726View attachment 559727View attachment 559728View attachment 559729View attachment 559730View attachment 559731

PA

I think that port would be plumbed to the compressor line before the check valve at the tank. -- Most compressor systems automatically vent this line after pumpup. It would be convenient to connect directly into that vent circuit since it is already designed to tolerate the heat of the compressor line.

I believe the port senses the pressure cycle from zero to high and back to zero and automatically triggers a brief condensate bleed after each compressor run.​

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,238  
Bought the portable miter saw stand this weekend...

Took the stand on it's maiden voyage this weekend. Built a new workbench for the garage, and it worked great for all the 2x4 cutting. Nice to be able to roll it out to the driveway and let it spew dust out there, then fold up the legs and roll it back into the garage. It's very sturdy. I felt no wobble from it at all.

I pulled the saw about halfway forward and locked it in place, then pivoted it to 45ー. This really helped to mitigate the back-heavy balance when folding the legs and moving it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,239  
We had a big storm come through last night. Some parts of the state had winds over 90 mph. Lots of downed branches and a few broken tree trunks at our place. Bought the Lynxx 40 v bar pole saw, based on the reviews I read right here. I also bought a spare battery. I have to say I'm impressed. I put the new battery on the charger as soon as I got home, and by the time I had the saw assembled, bar oil in it, put 2 stroke gas in my "big" gas saw, (and visited with the neighbor a bit on his damage), the battery was charged. I then put the spare battery on, thinking I would need it today.

I cut a LOT of branches down with this saw today. Some were big enough I had no business using that little cordless saw on, but it cut them anyway. Some I was at full pole extension, and tip toe (I'm 6'1") and one handing the reach to hit the branch even. I did use my big gas chain saw on all the really big stuff, and most of what I could reach with it while standing on the ground. I probably put 5 or 6 hrs of run time on the little Lynxx pole saw today, and I'm still cutting with the first charged battery, haven't needed to swap batteries yet.

Only "weird" thing on the charger is, the green light starts blinking as soon as you plug it into AC power, and it doesn't stop blinking until you put in a battery pack. When you're done charging and take the battery off, the green light blinks constantly from then on, until you unplug it from AC power. There's also a cooling fan in the charger that is loud enough (I'm hard of hearing) that I could hear it from 10 feet away standing outside the shop door. Not "knocking" it, it was just different is all.

I did like that the battery pack has a charge indicator that you can press a button and see how much charge is left in the battery pack. That was a nice touch I thought. So, initial review is I like the tool, and I've already run the BeeGeezuss out of it in one day.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,240  
What I did on my compressor was to install a street elbow and added a length of 1/8" th pipe to take the drain to easy reach. I then uses a simple ball valve as my new drain.
If I really wanted to I could make an extension for the ball valve lever that would save me from bending over to drain.