Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,211  
I wonder how the new 25% tariff is going to impact HF. Lots of Chinese woodworking/ metalworking equipment is subject to the new tariff starting July 6th.
I wondered the same. Time to stock up? Take advantage of the no copyright respecting, environment trashing sweat shops while you can! I'm not too good to buy from them, but facts are facts.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,212  
Wife actually put it together while I was at work earlier this week. I had a chance to check it out a bit last night, and it's much sturdier and stouter than I had anticipated. I guess we'll see how it holds up over time, but initial impression is very favorable.

That's funny. My wife recently got into wood working (go figure). Says it's a stress release from a long day at work. She bought and put together the 12" version with the stand. She decided to move it down the rail a bit, but didn't realize the COG was behind the table when the saw is up... oops! Gotta say, I was impressed with her ninja-like reflexes. Saw never hit the ground...

Shhhh... Don't tell her I put this up.

BTW, the laser on the 12" is a joke. I modded it with an LED light at the top of the blade housing that casts light down over the blade from both sides. It creates a shadow line that is the exact spot where the cut occurs. It's a <$20 mod. There's a YT video on how to make it like the DeWalt.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,213  
I wonder how the new 25% tariff is going to impact HF. Lots of Chinese woodworking/ metalworking equipment is subject to the new tariff starting July 6th.

Not just HF, most of the name brand stuff comes from there these days too.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,214  
Harbor Freight Lynxx 4V Cordless Outdoor Tools Made By Chinese Company Lera? - Tool Craze

Found this interesting since we just added 4 of these 40 volt tools. The weed eater and high speed blower have seen some usage. Well the weed eater has been a workout and battery life is running about one hour. I would buy some of the other tools from Lera source if HF picks up other option.

Paying 25% more at HF I expect is doable in my case but not so much at WalMart. I expect the China makers will just move production off shore where labor is less expensive like parts of Africa since they have already been doing this for years to some extent I have read in the past.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,216  
That's funny. My wife recently got into wood working (go figure). Says it's a stress release from a long day at work. She bought and put together the 12" version with the stand. She decided to move it down the rail a bit, but didn't realize the COG was behind the table when the saw is up... oops! Gotta say, I was impressed with her ninja-like reflexes. Saw never hit the ground...

Shhhh... Don't tell her I put this up.

BTW, the laser on the 12" is a joke. I modded it with an LED light at the top of the blade housing that casts light down over the blade from both sides. It creates a shadow line that is the exact spot where the cut occurs. It's a <$20 mod. There's a YT video on how to make it like the DeWalt.

That's exactly what I was warning PJ about- I had nearly the same event happen with mine, but I certainly weigh more, have a longer reach, and might even be a tiny big stronger than her, so I caught mine a lot closer to on top of the stand- I might also have had it happen while the saw was still locked into the down position, but I can't really recall.....

Thanks for the modding tip!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,217  
I like that shadow line mod.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,218  
These are excellent sharpeners and we use them for kitchen knives. The surface does either plug or wears out over time, however. We found we could extend usable life by making sure whatever we were sharpening was 100% clean first so there was nothing that could add to plugging the stone surface. Washing the stone with soap and a brush also helps.
I have had mine for about 8 years now and I keep all my kitchen knives razor sharp along with my pocket knife. The 800 grit is getting a little dull but still usable. I have not had any issue with it plugging but I only sharpen clean knives with it. Sometimes the knife is a little wet from cleaning and it seems to work better with some water on the stone.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,219  
I'd like an affordable set with strike plate butt ends. I've not seen HF offer any built that way, do you know if any other sources of (cheap) yet great pry bars?

Those HF pry bars become solid steel bars with just a bit of hammering on the handle (speaking from experience) but they do get several inches shorter in the process.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,220  
I carry one on my tractor, has gotten me out of a few binds plusjust handy for lots of things.

Ron
I had one of those, used it to wedge the PTO shaft thru one of the yokes so it wouldn't turn while I worked on the blades. Forget to remove it before I engaged the PTO. It first bent it, then the bar broke about 1 foot from the end and both pieces flew off to the side. This all happened before I realized what had happened. I engaged the PTO at low idle and it killed the engine. I though I had just not given enough throttle so I upped the engine speed to about 1500 and reengaged the PTO. I think the bar bent at low idle then when I boost up the throttle, it broke and slung it out. The bar was stuck in the yoke before the slip clutch so no protection available.