What year Ford

/ What year Ford #1  

woodsman324

Tractor
Ford 4000(for sale) and Kubota 4310 W/cab and loader
I have what I believe to be a Ford 3000. It is a diesel with the Ford loader which I believe was an original mount. I have seen a couple websites for serial number ID but these numbers on my machine aren't where they say they should be and they mix numbers and letters differently. One number stamped on the right hand side of the motor is C5NE605C with a T1 next to it. On the tranny under the seat is C5NN4024H stamped into the left side. Under that in a larger stamping is PB TI with FOMOCO under that. On what I believe to be the hydraulic pump under the seat C5NNB929K stamped on it's side and also CWC3. I'm just trying to get the year of the tractor since I'm selling it and several people have asked what year it is. Not sure if a pic would help. Thanks...

Attachments

• Ford 3000 A.jpg
    Ford 3000 A.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 451
  • Ford3000 B.jpg
    Ford3000 B.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 262
   / What year Ford #2  
The model number, serial number, and unit code are stamped on the flat surface of the starter boss of the clutch housing. They may be painted over, but they are there. The casting numbers you have posted are of little value in dating your tractor.

The photo is of a 1965 thru March 1968 4000 diesel, If the sheetmetal is original. Both front and rear axles are wrong for a 3000.

/ What year Ford #3  
I will PM SoundGuy. He will figure it out.

Chris

/ What year Ford
I believe the sheet metal to be original. I was told it was a 3000 when I bought it from a used dealer about 10 years ago. Here are a couple more pics. I knocked the air breather off with a branch and thats another reason I would like a birth date for her and now it might be a 4000? I can take more pics although its dark now. I'm no mechanic so I don't know exactly what you mean by "the starter boss of the clutch housing". I thank you folks for helping out. I wonder if I'm better off with a 4000 value wise since I'm selling it.

Attachments

• Ford 3000 C.jpg
    Ford 3000 C.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Ford 3000 D.jpg
    Ford 3000 D.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 210
   / What year Ford #5  
I have to ditto what Rick said.. we are not needing raised casting numbers.. we need hand stamped numbers that will be a date code and model id code and sn on the flat of the trans bellhousing aft of the starter.. from 53 on, ford stuck them in that area.

soundguy

/ What year Ford #6  
for instance.. you will be looking for a number that begins with a 4 or D.. probably a 4

a pre 4-68 4000 with an ag chassie, diesel engine and 8spd trans with live independent 540 pto would have an id code of:

41014C

if it was post 4-68 it would be:

D1014C

production date code will start with a number, then a letter, then 1-2 numbers and then a letter a-b or c. the 1-2 numbers are 1-31 for day of week.. the first number is year.. 5 = 65.. and so on till 74.. the letter is the month.. A=jan.. etc..aug = h, skips I, sept=j.. and so on. midnight shift = a, day shift = b, and afternoon shift=c... for instance april 16, 1966 day shift would be 6D16B

serial numbers could I guess have an A, C or B prefix depending on plant location.. I'm only familiar with the C prefix units.. not the A antwerp, or B, basildon prefix's.

soundguy

/ What year Ford #7  
for instance.. you will be looking for a number that begins with a 4 or D.. probably a 4

a pre 4-68 4000 with an ag chassie, diesel engine and 8spd trans with live independent 540 pto would have an id code of:

41014C

if it was post 4-68 it would be:

D1014C

production date code will start with a number, then a letter, then 1-2 numbers and then a letter a-b or c. the 1-2 numbers are 1-31 for day of week.. the first number is year.. 5 = 65.. and so on till 74.. the letter is the month.. A=jan.. etc..aug = h, skips I, sept=j.. and so on. midnight shift = a, day shift = b, and afternoon shift=c... for instance april 16, 1966 day shift would be 6D16B

serial numbers could I guess have an A, C or B prefix depending on plant location.. I'm only familiar with the C prefix units.. not the A antwerp, or B, basildon prefix's.

soundguy

Sheet metal puts it in the '65-3/68 range, as well as the external power steering cylinder which was used until '70 or so. The latest photo clearly shows the single P/S cylinder and rear trumpet housings for planetary final drives and wet brakes that were not used on a 3000 but were present on a 4000 of that vintage. The first photo shows a SelectoSpeed shifter and no air filter cover on the Left side of the hood, meaning it has an oil bath unit in front of the radiator which in turn means it is a diesel. It's a 4000 general purpose, assuming everything is original. The age can be verified given the proper data from the tractor, but it is what it is, and the value is based more on condition than if it has a October 1965 or February 1968 build date.

Last edited:
   / What year Ford
So, based on the pics do you agree that this is a 4000? I just went out in the dark and looked around the starter area for numbers but no luck in the dark and cold. I did snap a few more pics. I'll look some more in the morning and try a little degreaser. Thanks again.

Attachments

• phpEJ1mmxPM.jpg
    phpEJ1mmxPM.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 190
  • phpIAQnW0PM.jpg
    phpIAQnW0PM.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 191
  • phpYTDWe6PM.jpg
    phpYTDWe6PM.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 191
   / What year Ford
The brick is way newer than 1968.

LOL, maybe not it was recycled. When I knocked that air intake off I swear there was glass as part of it and I've been looking of pics of 3000's and 4000's and all I see on them is a blue unit with a sort of mushroom shape.