Block Heater

/ Block Heater
That's a tough question that will probably generate different answers.

The colder it gets, the harder it is to turn the engine over and start it. Oil gets thicker as it gets colder and is harder to flow. The best thing to do for an engine is to keep it in a heated garage in the winter. Barring that, the next best thing is to warm the engine up before you start it. That get the oil flowing quicker and gets you up to operating temperature quicker. Engines are designed to operate within a designated temperature range. The quicker you get there, the better it is for the longevity of the engine.

As for when you need to use a block heater, my answer would be when you start getting temperatures below freezing.

/ Block Heater #22  
I would highly recomend a block heater . I use my Mitsubishi to plow my drive in the winter too , and it would take me over an hour to get it started when it got below 30degrees . Get out the torpedo heater , jumper cables , etc.................
I installed a block heater the next year (under $30) and I plug it in about an hour and a half before I start it , new glow plugs and it starts almost like it was summer . Bought mine from the Quality Farm and Fleet catalog . It was made to fit an American tractor and wouldn't fit the freeze plug hole correctly , so I went to the local auto parts and bought a slightly different size O-ring and it fit perfectly and has never leaked a drop . If you don't use a block heater,buy a shovel !

/ Block Heater #23  
Also, diesel engines use heat generated from compression to ignite the fuel- air mix. The warmer the cylinder heads- the quicker it will generate enough heat for combustion!

/ Block Heater #24  
You might try a small combination of items. I see that places like tractor supply have large and small magnetic heaters. If you are really gonna need the tractor to start below 0, you might buy a magnetic heater for the block , and a small one for the oil pan.. or even a dipstick warmer for the oilpan.. but the magnetic one is probably easier, etc. A trickle charger for the battery wouldn't hurt either.. even a small one, 1/10 to 1/2 amp nwill keep the battery topped off for the morning start, and the battery will be warmed by the current flow. I wouldn't leave the charger on all the time, but during the times when you know that you will neeed cold starts, it is a plus.

Soundguy

"Newbie here to tractors and diesel engines. When do you need a block heater? I live in New Jersey, our winter varies from mild, a few snow storms, to getting dumped on. We will get periods of cold weather, below 0 for "

/ Block Heater #25  
I've got a block heater, but haven't been able to install it because the plug in the block is screwed in so tight. Even tried my impact wrench, and no go. Anyone have any ideas?
Bob

/ Block Heater #26  
I was just re-reading this thread and was wondering if most of the compacts has heater hose connections on the engine. How many different brands have these capped off fittings? I just bought another Zerostart heater to put on my tractor. I have had one on my generator for about three years and I love it.

/ Block Heater #27  
Based on local feedback that I received from farmers and neighbors who should know, I've gone ahead and purchased both a block heater AND a hydraulics heater for my JD4600. Our temperatures range as low as 20+ below and I don't want to have to deal with warm up issues if I can afford not to.

(such is life in MN, I guess...)

-Bob

/ Block Heater
I'm not sure what you mean by "capped off fitting? And I don't know what a Zerostart heater is.

/ Block Heater #29  
In NJ if you have a reasonably new Kubota and keep it inside you can get by without a block heater. That said, Kubota only charged $50 for mine (screws into the block and heats the antifreeze) and it's well worth the option if it gets REAL cold. The glow plugs have always started mine just fine in normal cold weather (15-30deg F) but if I see we're getting a real cold spell and we're expecting snow I'll plug it in the night before, not because it won't start because it will but because it's easier on the engine and better for it. Cheap insurance.

/ Block Heater #30  
<font color=blue>Capped off fitting</font color=blue> : on my tractor in the water pump area there is two pipe nipples that have rubber caps with hose clamps on them. They are outlets for cab heat.

This is a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=53913&BQ=jcw2/
/>Zerostart heater</A>

I don't know what I did wrong but I couldn't get the /> out of the thing. But it works.