Block Heater

/ Block Heater
Thanks for the info guys. I think maybe that hose heater might be the way for me to go. I'll go visit my friendly NAPA guy tomorrow.

/ Block Heater #12  
Ozarker, in addition to heating the block I also have a battery heater. On one tractor its a magnet heater on the battery box and on the other there is room for a jacket/wrap deal. The trick is to store out of the wind. I have them spliced together so there is only one plug.

/ Block Heater #13  
I've also seen magnet block heaters.. probably similar to that battery heater.

In the winter, i used to leave a trickle charger at around 50-100ma on my yanmar, if I new I was going to be using it. Also, as I didn't have a block or dipstick heater, sometimes I would leave a shrouded light ( trouble light? ) on, hanging off the hood or something similar. Always worked great.

We do this with some fruit trees, and also the water pump sometimes when it is going to hard freeze, with alot of wind. Just make a windbreak, and the light does the rest.

Soundguy

/ Block Heater #14  
Add one more.

Up here in North Idaho on the Canadian border we have put block heaters on many compacts for customers and ourselves. They work just great here and should back there also.

The best place to buy one is at your friendly parts store. You need to find a spot on your engine which has the most open space and measure it. Then head to Napa, Carquest, Parts Plus or the like and decide which style fits best.

The easiest and best type we find is the magnetic against the block which takes care of oil and antifreeze. There is also a new tube type which is flexible and mounts in odd shaped places. There are some small soft plug mounts if no magnetic or tube. Hose type placed in the hose should be the last straw if only to save time but it isn't that much work.

There are lots of choices so check a few places. Prices here are $32 in hose, $39 magnetic and soft plug, and $49 for the new tube type. Since last winter (June up here) there may be new types out.

/ Block Heater
Actually, I looked at and considered the magnetic mount first. My idea was that it would sit nicely on the flat bottom of the oil pan, heat the oil and the heat would rise to the rest of the engine. Then I thought that I would forget it, drive off, it would fall off and I would end up running over it. Or am I being too cautious and it is strong enough magnet to stay in place while operating the tractor?

/ Block Heater #16  
One can tie and tape the heater cord to some solid item on the tractor. When forgetfull it either pulls out of the plug or the plug will pull off but not damage the heater.

Had a P/U once with a frost plug type block heater in each bank. They would melt snow of the hood and from underneath the engine area. I do beleive this did heat up the oil.
The inline heaters work well also, melt the snow off of the hood of my tractor and heat the oil too as the oil pan and hydro case are warm to the touch.
Many large trucks use inline heaters with a circulating pump.

Egon

/ Block Heater #17  
Loop the extension cord through the steering wheel. You'll have to disconnect it to drive off.

/ Block Heater #18  
We have never had the magnetic disengage and that includes during plowing, skidding, and pretty rough and bouncy work. It stays on year around.

The magnetic hold has been strong.

Inspector 507s idea to prevent the forgetful start sounds good.

/ Block Heater
Thanks. I thought I would have to take it off the block before using the tractor. But if the magnet is strong enough to stay on even during severe use, the magnet may be a better choice for me.

/ Block Heater #20  
Newbie here to tractors and diesel engines. When do you need a block heater? I live in New Jersey, our winter varies from mild, a few snow storms, to getting dumped on. We will get periods of cold weather, below 0 for sometimes for a week or so, but most times temperatures are above 0. I plan on using the tractor for snow removal and will have it parked in my shed, no heat, and on my driveway when I expect a big storm. I know heating the engine is better for a diesel as far as wear of the parts go, so do I need one? I think Kubota has one for about $100-$150.

Thanks

Tom