truck problems(spark plug)

/ truck problems(spark plug) #1  

huntnfarm

Tractor
8n Ford
i know this is a tractor forum but you guys are pretty knowledgable. i have a 2000 f150 5.4 and blew a spark plug last night. it stripped the threads to the point of not being able to put a new one in. does anyone have expirence with re-threading?? how much of a pain is it and whats a good guess on price??? hatin life these days..................:mad:

/ truck problems(spark plug) #2  
The common ways are usually either using a Heli Coil in the hole or taking the head off and retapping. I am an avid motorcyclist and recently saw in a magazine that Mac tools makes a tool called the Back-Tap...it allows you to rethread spark plug holes without fear of getting the shavings in the cylinder. You insert it and and expand the cutting threads and it cuts new ones on its way out of the hole, a mandrel catches the shavings. I think they were about $90 for a 3 size set or $50 each. I'm sure you can google it for more info.

/ truck problems(spark plug) #4  
Those ford spark plugs are a horrible design. I hope you the best. Some shops won't even do spark plugs on the 5.4's because they strip out so bad. I've not seen one blow out though. hope the heli coil will work for you.

/ truck problems(spark plug) #5  
The correct way, and only way that I have seen have any success, is to take it to a reputable machine shop that will put in the proper inserts so it doesn't happen again. My machinist was doing them for the local Ford dealer because Ford's solution was to replace the head with the same design head. I was in charge of a fleet of trucks and equipment and as it happened to our F-250's we would pull the heads and send them out. It was much less aggrevation in the long run.

Brian

/ truck problems(spark plug) #6  
I highly recommend anti-seize compound on all fasteners.

/ truck problems(spark plug) #7  
This can be a issue on early 2 Valve 5.4 motors. The 3 Valve does not have this issue. The issue is there are only 3 to 4 threads there and many over torque the plugs and do not use anti-seize. They only take something like 7 ft lbs.

Make sure who ever fixes it knows what they are doing and has done 5.4 Fords before. There is some good fixes and some not so good fixes so chose wisely.

Same is true with the V-10 also. Older 2 Valve engines had this issue but it was fixed with the 3 Valve.

I have owned 6 5.4 F-150 trucks and my dad and brother-n-law have had another 10 or so F-150's and Expeditions and non of us have had this issue. I know lots of folks that have had them without issue but do know one guy who had it happen on a 01 F-250 with a V-10

Chris

/ truck problems(spark plug) #8  
From a complete lack of experience base I'd suggest removing the head and have a proper shop do the work.:D

When it's running again perhaps a different truck could be considered??:)

/ truck problems(spark plug) #9  
From a complete lack of experience base I'd suggest removing the head and have a proper shop do the work.:D

When it's running again perhaps a different truck could be considered??:)

The advice I heard was to remove the suspect spark plug, turn around and insert it into a Chevy truck's engine then drive the chevy to a shop and have the plugs changed.

But seriously, fords are well known for the aluminum heads stripping out. Most any well stocked NAPA will be able to get you the correct materials to put in a thread insert.

I don't worry about getting the odd aluminum shaving in the cylinder. Sure, air gun blow them at 100 psi, but if one is in there, it will soon burn up or be shot out the exhaust. I helped a guy pull the heads on a small block chevy that he had dropped a brass air cleaner wing nut down the carb with the engine running. There was absolutely no sign of what cylinder ate it up, no damage at all and it ran good for 6-7 years until he totaled it.

/ truck problems(spark plug) #10  
The advice I heard was to remove the suspect spark plug, turn around and insert it into a Chevy truck's engine then drive the chevy to a shop and have the plugs changed.

I never had a GM last long enough to need spark plugs.:laughing:

Chris