Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #11  
I have the same problem. Dealer quoted $100 in parts to fix it. I will be applying heat, soon.

That dealer only employs parts-swappers and not mechanics, then. There is a difference. The turnbuckle will not turn while its "loaded." That is by design so that it will retain the adjustment and not adjust itself. Unload/disconnect either end and it will turn.

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL
That dealer only employs parts-swappers and not mechanics, then. There is a difference. The turnbuckle will not turn while its "loaded." That is by design so that it will retain the adjustment and not adjust itself. Unload/disconnect either end and it will turn.

Which end are you supposed to disconnect? The service manual says to just adjust. Both ends are pretty buried without taking some other stuff apart.
ac

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #13  
Free at last. Pulled out the cotter pins and pins and got the turnbuckle assembly free from the tractor. I put Kroil on the threads for three days.Put the turnbuckle in my vise and tried to spin each threaded rod with a pipe wrench. Felt like the rods were on the verge of twisting or breaking. Broke out the propane torch and applied heat for about 5 minutes to turnbuckle and rod. Put the wrench to it and no go. Reheated once again then grabbed with channel locks and put the turnbuckle on the flat part of the vise. Tapped on all the flats of the turnbuckle with a 2# hammer. Placed in vise again, reheated and commenced to torqing the threaded shaft. Alas. A loud squeak and then movement. A little more Kroil and wiggling back and forth and finally freed the threads. Same for other side. Very close to twisting the rod or snapping it. Finally it worked out for once. Time and patience got it done. Brakes are now adjusted. Hard part was getting out the cotter pins and releasing the turnbuckle assembly. Good Luck with yours...

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 556
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 598
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 465
   / Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #14  
Good pictures. That is exactly the design of mine. You saved $52.00 a side, in parts. Should of had anti-seize on the threads, from the beginning.

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #15  
I went out to adjust my brakes and guess what? Mine are frozen up, too! I was afraid I was going to break something with the force I was putting on the turnbuckles. So, I guess I will undo the cotter pins and use the vise and propane torch in the morning. That's a good idea about using the anti-seize, John.

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #16  
You'll still have to put a ton of force on that little turnbuckle even with the heat. I thought something was going to break. I used a 12"pipe wrench and crescent wrench to get it to budge. After it moved a 1/16 inch one way I kept moving it back and forth and kept appyling Kroil. Let me know how you make out...Good Luck.

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #17  
Well, I took my brake turnbuckles rods off and got them all fixed up and back on again. The two rods are held on by cotter pins. The bottom pins are easy to take off. The top ones were buggers...until I took the plastic dash cowling off. Only four bolts holding it. Then they were easy to access.

Looking at the turnbuckles, they had some rust on the threads where moisture got in. I wire brushed the threads and put anti-seize on them and put everything back together. All works smoothly again.

To do your brake adjustment, do you adjust the rods shorter or longer?

Attachments

• Kub brake adj rod.JPG
    Kub brake adj rod.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:
   / Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #18  
I adjusted each of them to .6 to .8 inches as the manual described. I believe I shortened them as the tunbuckle seemed to show less thread...

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #19  
Thank you John! You guys on TBN are sure lifesavers. I will shorten mine a tad and try them out to see. Thanks!

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #20  
Let me know how you make out. I have the same problem. Can't budge the turnbuckle. I guess I'll get the propane torch out if the penetrating oil doesn't loosen it up.

I have an ole L285 .. figured I should do a brake adjust .. in case I can't use the FEL or rear implement to keep from rolling with engine idling.. hehehe. Now on the L285 anyway .. the turnbuckles are solid .. not slotted like alot of hardware store stuff. Mine wouldn't budge either .. even after a couple of doses of PB.

As it turns out .. adjustment was not possible, because the two links were actually Bottomed Out .. inside the turnbuckle itself .. invisible of course from the outside. In my case ... no amount of heat or PB is gonna solve this .. needs a brake job I guese .. kinda put on the back burner since aquiring my Jinma 354 here. As I recall .. p+l was quoted something like $700 for brake job on an L285 .. parts was the larger portion.

PB "Blaster" is totally awesome stuff .. and Permatex Neversieze goes on everthing put back together unless specifically verboten .. where super accurate re-torquing is indicated (head bolts etc.).