Loctite Blue Silicone RTV Sealant

/ Loctite Blue Silicone RTV Sealant #1  

2manytoyz

Tractor
John Deere X475
How many have used this with good results? I need to replace waterpump on my JD X475 and wanting a good gasket maker.

/ Loctite Blue Silicone RTV Sealant #2  
It works OK. I use their high temp "copper" for everything though.

/ Loctite Blue Silicone RTV Sealant #3  
Skip the blue.

Go right to the best, "the right stuff". The name suits it/

dkuyf04Q23NJiD8V3E1q2-dSnUpNPaU0golytjmV3c91O9kS0FipA-ND3cpnXvp-25Co1LlFh3IUaqq-1u5a9v7uNjBMVRiB7vwFAGEfXk0MzzJ5p7g0QeYfz3WhZfT6qlMcNYVlrSzi

/ Loctite Blue Silicone RTV Sealant #4  
RTV is seldom the best thing to use. A pristine gasket surface, the proper gasket and MAYBE a light coating of loctite Hi Tack is all most paper or rubberized gaskets need. Less is more.

/ Loctite Blue Silicone RTV Sealant #5  
we used the blue a lot in workshops and it is excellent providing you use it sparingly. It is easy to use too much and can cause blockages with the excess.
As monckywrench says, the high temp copper is the better one.

/ Loctite Blue Silicone RTV Sealant
Then hi temp copper it is. Don't know what JD uses in assembly, its a greyish white and is a bear to break loose. Finally put a little heat to it and that helped alot.

/ Loctite Blue Silicone RTV Sealant #7  
Then hi temp copper it is. Don't know what JD uses in assembly, its a greyish white and is a bear to break loose. Finally put a little heat to it and that helped alot.

Its probably something like ThreeBond 1194. Cant say for sure but most of the mazor OEMS use it in one form or another (they usually rebrand it to "somethingBOND")

Three Bond - Gasket Sealer

/ Loctite Blue Silicone RTV Sealant #8  

I have been using copper RTV with excellent results for many years. It
even works on exhaust manifolds. Unlike gasket cements, RTV does not
glue surfaces together so strongly that they are super-hard to disassemble.
Cleanup is not too bad, either. Glued in paper gaskets can be a bear
to remove.

Note that assembly lines often use paper gaskets (bare or with sealant)
not because they are better, but they go together faster than
carefully-applied RTV silicone. What do you want, faster or better?

Of course, some assemblies are designed with the thickness of a gasket
in mind, so going with RTV-only can cause clearance issues. And
anything that is supposed to seal in gasoline will not do well with RTV.

/ Loctite Blue Silicone RTV Sealant #9  
I am a Mechanic and never use High tack. It dries out a gasket, and makes it hard as a rock, Same as permatex. They are both a leak looking for somewhere to happen. Gasket cinch very rarely.
As for silicone Loctite 5699 that is great stuff. I use gasket eliminator from Detroit diesel on some stuff pieces must be flat.
The 5699 Is what is used in class eights to install the Diffs. wipe the pieces with a little solvent and while still damp put on the silicone, and assemble.
Pieces must be flat no dings, and no loose pieces.

/ Loctite Blue Silicone RTV Sealant #10  
I am a Mechanic and never use High tack. It dries out a gasket, and makes it hard as a rock, Same as permatex. They are both a leak looking for somewhere to happen. Gasket cinch very rarely.
As for silicone Loctite 5699 that is great stuff. I use gasket eliminator from Detroit diesel on some stuff pieces must be flat.
The 5699 Is what is used in class eights to install the Diffs. wipe the pieces with a little solvent and while still damp put on the silicone, and assemble.
Pieces must be flat no dings, and no loose pieces.

I have 16 years as a professional mechanic and I never use RTV. I disagree completely with you about HiTack. Doesn't really matter. We all have our preferences.