need air compressor opinions

/ need air compressor opinions #21  
About 12 years ago, I bought a Grainger combo unit.

80 gallon tank, cast iron compressor and Speedaire Drier...

Works great and was under $2,000

Much quieter than my 30 gallon Craftsman.

Are you guys required to get 5 year permits?

Every 5 years, the State comes out to inspect and test the tank for corrosion... oh, the tank must be ASTM certified too.

how would they know who is buying what and where? do you have to register your air compressor with state or something? In pennsylvania we dont even have firearm registration.

/ need air compressor opinions #22  
how would they know who is buying what and where? do you have to register your air compressor with state or something? In pennsylvania we dont even have firearm registration.

The only real way is if you run any kind of business from that address... your door is always open for various agencies to stop by for a look-see.

GRSTHEGREAT mentioned installs in a cabinet shop and this is what got me thinking.

There is an exemption for units 10 gallons and smaller...

I remember in the old days my neighbor bought a gas stove from Montgomery Wards and had it delivered.

A few weeks later he got a visit from the city stating he had bought a stove and there was no permit on file for the installation.

Technically, anytime a gas line is reconnected, an inspection is required... same with pulling and placing a toilet.

Last edited:
   / need air compressor opinions #23  

Every 5 years, the State comes out to inspect and test the tank for corrosion... oh, the tank must be ASTM certified too.

yeiks... is this in a commercial shop???

no residential inspections here that i know of, and ive never even heard of a commercial inspection...but it may exist

/ need air compressor opinions #24  
Calif was notorious for that. If a person replaced a water heater or toilet, and left the old one outside......out come the inspectors. I think the garbage men turned them in???

/ need air compressor opinions #25  
yeiks... is this in a commercial shop???

no residential inspections here that i know of, and ive never even heard of a commercial inspection...but it may exist

Domestic use is generally exempt from the requirement...

/ need air compressor opinions #26  

I don't recall ever hearing of any governmental agency inspecting compressors in commercial installations, though it may happen.

But private homeowner compressors are not checked by anyone. My current compressor was 6 years old in September, and the manual says nothing about ever having it inspected.

/ need air compressor opinions #27  
The compressor that NOTV8 has is the one to have. Single stage 5hp, 18+ CFM. It is on my hit list pretty soon. I should have bought it before Christmas at Tractor Supply. The price was $849 and then there was a 10% coupon. I could kick myself for not pulling the trigger on it.

/ need air compressor opinions #28  
I am in the camp that more storage is better than more CFM.

I would do tire work on a small fleet of belly dumps using just a small Sears compressor with about a six gallon tank to run a 1" impact. Because wheel mounting involves a lot of non-compressor time the Sears would keep up just fine. I had the impact wrench running from a half inch line fed from a 100 lb repurposed propane tank that was connected to the belly dump air tanks which probably had a couple hundred gallons of usable storage between the tractor and trailer. I'd plug the Sears into the system first thing and by the time I was ready to wrench the air was built up and would easily do one wheel and then, after moving tires and jack, the next wheel(s).

Having your compressor in a separate area is worth a lot. Build a small cabinet spaced a foot from your garage for your compressor and enjoy the quiet.

/ need air compressor opinions
Done deal, then. True to TBN tradition I'm going to spend your $500 on a larger new compressor. Once you pay for it you won't regret it.

Is there such a thing as too much air?

i believe that is what ai'm going to do.. i'm going to look at 3 60g units int he 500ish $ price range this weekend.

thanks for the ideas guys

soundguy

/ need air compressor opinions
i wonder how often tractor supply has a % off coupon. that have 2 60g units under 900$

hmm.. :)

soundguy