need air compressor opinions

/ need air compressor opinions #31  
i wonder how often tractor supply has a % off coupon. that have 2 60g units under 900$

hmm.. :)

soundguy
Yeah, but dont they have a 2 stage, 5+ Hp upright unit that does 20CFM at 100PSI for just 30 or 40% more. Those are probably just a little more than you actually need to avoid any delay. Ive gone the single stage route in the beginning and had your experience. They are not efficient at pressure.
larry

/ need air compressor opinions
Yeah, but dont they have a 2 stage, 5+ Hp upright unit that does 20CFM at 100PSI for just 30 or 40% more. Those are probably just a little more than you actually need to avoid any delay. Ive gone the single stage route in the beginning and had your experience. They are not efficient at pressure.
larry

no.. more than 100% more to get those numbers.

at 75% more, you can get one that is 2 more hp though... but not all the extra mentioned capacity..

in doing some more research.. i looked at the husky brand at home depot.. looks like it is a rebadged campbel hausfeld.. in fact.. one model i looked at is identical to a blue ch modle, and looking under product specs, list brand name as husky, and manufacturer as CH...

anyone have info on this? why compete with their own brand.. the husky is the same specs and 20-30$ cheaper... same cfm, same amps.. same dimensions and weight.. same claims for noise.. a bit less warranty is the only difference I can find..

soundguy

/ need air compressor opinions #35  
...why compete with their own brand...

Because there are those people out there who believe "You get what you pay for." They will pay the extra $30 for the CH unit and argue until they are blue in the face that they got a better product because they paid the higher price.

It's a win/win for everyone really. The manufacturer can charge these people more. These people can pay more and feel like they are smarter because they bought the better product. The rest of us can get a cheaper unit because we are subsidized by the "You get what you pay for" crowd.

I like that. :)

I ended up getting the red 'husky' unit, that, once you get down to brass tacks and compair it to the blue ch unit.. it is the EXACT same electric motor and pressure reg /switch, and tubing.

tank is same dimensions down to feet and mounting deck.. same shroud. both tanks have a ch manufacturer tag on them.. though model id numbers are 4 digit and differ 1 number each..

both have the same pressure and psi specs... yet one was 20-30$ cheaper...

i bought the cheaper one.. :)

/ need air compressor opinions #37  
I like that. :)

I ended up getting the red 'husky' unit, that, once you get down to brass tacks and compair it to the blue ch unit.. it is the EXACT same electric motor and pressure reg /switch, and tubing.

tank is same dimensions down to feet and mounting deck.. same shroud. both tanks have a ch manufacturer tag on them.. though model id numbers are 4 digit and differ 1 number each..

both have the same pressure and psi specs... yet one was 20-30$ cheaper...

i bought the cheaper one.. :)

Question for you... What kind of amperage is that compressor going to draw? I'm planning a shop expansion in the (hopefully) near future, and I'm debating what size wire to run to my compressor location.

/ need air compressor opinions #39  
Question for you... What kind of amperage is that compressor going to draw? I'm planning a shop expansion in the (hopefully) near future, and I'm debating what size wire to run to my compressor location.

The 115-120 volt ones I've seen, and the 230-240 volt single stage compressors I've seen were rated for 15 amps. 230-240 volt, two stage rated for 19-20 amps.

/ need air compressor opinions #40  

It would be ok to run a 12/2 romex for the 60 gal compressor for a dedicated 20 amp , 240 circuit.

Personally, whenever i run a compressor circuit i run 10/2 so it can be upped to 30 amps if they ever increase the compressor in the future. Easier to run it one time.