Mahindra 2310 no 4x4?

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #1  

sms888

Tractor
Mahindra 2310
I have a Mahindra 2310 and the 4x4 stopped working. The driveshaft spins down to the front axle and if you jack up the front end, the tires rotate together(in opposing directions). It would seem that there is a coupler in there that busted or something. Does anybody have an exploded view of the front end or know what might be gong on in there, or how to access it? It looks like there are no real access points from where the driveshaft enters the front end. Thanks for the help!

Steve

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #2  
I just looked at your model and the front axle is a standard mechanical drive. From what you have described, I can see nothing out of the ordinary. How do you determine that it is the engine that is spinning the front drive shaft? One would have to have all four wheels off the ground to know that it is the engine, and not just the rolling of the front wheels, that is turning that front drive shaft. Jacking up only the front axle and rotating one wheel, with the front drive shaft not turning, the other wheel properly rotates in the opposite direction. So far, from what you've told us, the front axle looks okay. It would sound to me that it isn't engaging properly.

Next time you have the front jacked up, with the 4WD engaged and the transmission in gear, have a friend rotate the other wheel as you do one side. If the two of you can get both wheels to turn in the same direction, and the front drive shaft rotates, then the front axle is not engaging.

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4?
So I have the front end jacked up, 4x4 and tranny engaged/in gear. Tried to spin both tires forward and the shaft does not spin. Front end sounds a little crunchy, I'm wondering if something broke inside, if so, how do I even get in there?

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #4  
So I have the front end jacked up, 4x4 and tranny engaged/in gear. Tried to spin both tires forward and the shaft does not spin. Front end sounds a little crunchy, I'm wondering if something broke inside, if so, how do I even get in there?

Ouch! Because of your first report, wheels turning in opposite directions, I would say that the gears in the swivel joints, and differential spider gears, are all okay. That leaves the ring and pinion.

Tried to spin both tires forward and the shaft does not spin.

But they did both turn the same direction at the same time? And that was crunchy? There will usually be parts of the ring and the pinion that will still have teeth. There would be gaps where the drive shaft wouldn't turn. Those gears would not break without some big noise. The only other thing I can think of is the pinion has come loose from the drive shaft. Without a drawing of its construction, hard to know much from here.

Did you get into a situation where the front axle was doing all the work, like trying to back up a steep hill, or a front end loader so weighted down that the rear wheels came off the ground, and you heard something go POP?

Without seeing it, I can't say how it comes apart. If it had been a 2816, I would know that front axle, inside and out, as it is the same Mitsubishi made front end I have been inside of many times.

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4?
It was never put in a situation where it would have been over-stressed. The 4x4 just stopped working without any real warning or reason. Like I said, when I had the front end up with the 4x4 locked and in low gear, I spun the front tires at the same time in the same direction and the driveshaft never moved. It sounded as if there was some grit inside the front end but there was no skipping like missing teeth. It is kind-of an odd situtation. My next step I guess would be to start tearing apart the front end. I'm looking for an exploded view but I can't seem to find one and my local dealer is closed when I can call... Is there anywhere I can go for schematics/diagrams/exploded views? Again thank you!!

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #6  
This was discussed before and a couple people suggested that the bolts that hold the ring gear to its carrier are probably sheared off. There is still just enough friction for the ring gear to turn the carrier when driven by the front driveshaft, and hence rotate the front wheels when jacked up off the ground. However, once they encounter a certain amount of resistance they just simply stop rotating.

Like you said, the only way you will know for sure is to start taking it apart to have a look see inside.

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #7  
Let us know what you find out.

I once had the ring gear bolts shear off, but it was because the original owner had broken the ring gear and taken it back to his dealer (now out of business), whose mechanic got the wrong ring gear, an earlier version, with 8-mm bolt holes, where the original, later, version had 10mm bolts. They put 8mm bolts in through the 10mm holes in the differential case and all eight of them sheared off just after I got the tractor. So, I redrilled the case gear flange for 8mm bolts and also JB welded the ring to the case flange. I later learned that the 8mm version was for a '91 Case IH 1140. My '96 Cub Cadet 7274 was pretty much the identical tractor (and later yet, that same tractor, with a newer engine, became the Mahindra 2816 and still entirely made by Mitsubishi), but the dealer used Case IH parts because they were lower priced than the parts from Cub Cadet (but the ring gear had gone to the fatter bolts).

Later on, by over-stressing the front axle (too much lifting force on the FEL while backing up), I broke teeth on ring and pinion (but the 8mm bolts and the JB weld didn't fail). That, plus a lot of other parts broke (several pinions and a sun gear in the swivel joints broke, plus a couple of bearings). I also bent both half shafts, but I was able to straighten them myself. That is how I found out about the Case IH versus the Cub Cadet prices. When a Cub Cadet dealer couldn't get me the 10mm bolts, they ordered them with a Case IH number and I got the 8mm bolts. That's when they told me about the earlier Case IH.

I did that repair myself, all the labor. There was a total of 12 pounds of parts from Mitsubishi (gears, bearings, seals, gaskets, and O-rings). Those parts cost a total of $2000. So, my parts cost me $167 per pound. It was all a learning experience. I'm too poor to afford mechanics, so I have to do it myself. I discovered in this instance, that I was way better than the mechanics that were inside that front axle before me.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #8  
Mahindra Tractor Parts and Hustler Mower Parts has parts diagrams. As Short Game discussed, Some of the Mahindra compacts are Mitsubishi design and I have noticed that when I have cross referenced several XX15 models on the Mahindra site to my Mitsubishi MT180-300 service manual the parts diagrams are identical. This will also get some of the CIH 2X4/2X5 and Cub 7XXX series machines so I'm sure you can shop around for best price if you find there's a parts crossover.

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #9  
I don't know if your 2310 is a TYM-built like my 4110 is but it probably operates the same. The enclosed driveshaft to the front differential will not turn when the 4wd lever is engaged - that driveshaft is direct coupled to the pinion in the rear differential when engaged and will only turn with the rear wheels turning. You either have broken parts in the front differential or a broken axle shaft to one wheel or broken countershaft in one of the front outdrives. I have broken all of these at one time or another on my 4110 so I speak from experience. Given that it is making noise it is probably the differential - mine makes no noise when I break an axle or countershaft - I have broken several of each of these and they make no noise when turning the wheels by hand. I have broken the ring gear bolts off in mine and it didn't make any noise then either but when I broke the ring/pinion gears it did make noise when turned by hand. It is a simple matter to remove the outdrives to check for broken axles - pop the tie rod and remove 6 bolts that hold the outdrive to the axle housing. I can change a front axle in mine in 15 minutes. Removing the front diff is more involved but a straightforward operation - you need to drop the whole front axle assembly (after removing the 2 outdrives). Besides getting the diff out easier you can also rinse the axle housing out good before reassembly with the repaired diff - don't want any pieces of metal getting into the new works !! Good luck with it !!!

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4?
That's alot of info, thanks guys! I found several diagrams and with your help hopefully this all goes well. I'll let you know how I make out, I should be able to attack it today. Thanks again!!