Mahindra 2310 no 4x4?

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #11  
That's alot of info, thanks guys! I found several diagrams and with your help hopefully this all goes well. I'll let you know how I make out, I should be able to attack it today. Thanks again!!

If we can see the diagrams without having to register or pay, I'd like to see them. Is there a URL for them?

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4?
I found the diagrams on MikesTractors.com. I got the passenger side gear box off yesterday and the axle shaft was fine. I couldn't see much else but the driver side still sounded crunchy. I'll be removing that side today. I will update as soon as I can get that thing apart.

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4?
So... driver side gear box is off and sounds a little rough when spun. In the axle everything looks fine, pinion meets the ring, no shearing. I reached in and spun the pinion but the driveshaft feels no resistance and doesn't spin. I had a buddy hold the driveshaft while I spun the pinion and the was little resistance. Same thing vice versa. Now I'm thinking the pinion sheared somewhere inside the tube behind the gears. Any thoughts before I drop the front and and pull the pinion??

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4?
Sorry, I couldn't access the site at work, this is the url: OEM Parts

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #16  
I see the ring gear is connected to the differential case with splines. I can't tell how the drive shaft engages the pinion shaft.

The prices of this kind of stuff is amazing. I'd scarcely believe any of us could build our tractors from spare parts for under a quarter million dollars.

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #17  
If we can see the diagrams without having to register or pay, I'd like to see them. Is there a URL for them?

I have accessed the site I originally posted ( Mahindra Tractor Parts and Hustler Mower Parts )many times and it's never asked me for registration info or charges to look at parts diagrams....just went to it again and looked at 2310 diagrams. It's the same parts lookup that Mike's and other Mahindra dealers website's use. The reference to "charges" directly under the parts lookup is only concerning placing parts orders and don't see anything at all about registration???

sms888, I would check the coupling between the driveshaft and pinion before I got too far. The Mahindra diagram is pretty vague and you can't tell how the "couping" (driveshaft part #12) works....is it splined, does it retain a pin(?) but I suspect it is the designed weak link and most easily repaired. I would check it first.

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #18  
I have accessed the site I originally posted ( Mahindra Tractor Parts and Hustler Mower Parts )many times and it's never asked me for registration info or charges to look at parts diagrams....just went to it again and looked at 2310 diagrams. It's the same parts lookup that Mike's and other Mahindra dealers website's use. The reference to "charges" directly under the parts lookup is only concerning placing parts orders and don't see anything at all about registration???

sms888, I would check the coupling between the driveshaft and pinion before I got too far. The Mahindra diagram is pretty vague and you can't tell how the "couping" (driveshaft part #12) works....is it splined, does it retain a pin(?) but I suspect it is the designed weak link and most easily repaired. I would check it first.

On my 4110 the driveshaft has a snap ring groove & snap ring that holds the splined coupler in place to engage the pinion shaft. You use snap ring pliers to spread the ring and let it slip down the driveshaft to the smooth section. This allows the splined coupler to slide down in the same direction and away from the pinion shaft until it disengages and allows the driveshaft to drop down. These couplers could be a weak point but have never broken one on my 4110 and I have broken probably 8 or 10 front axles, a couple countershafts, 1 set of ring gear studs and one set of ring/pinion gears. I think if it were very weak I would have broken one by now. The 2310 may be different from mine though ....

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4? #19  
On my 4110 the driveshaft has a snap ring groove & snap ring that holds the splined coupler in place to engage the pinion shaft. You use snap ring pliers to spread the ring and let it slip down the driveshaft to the smooth section. This allows the splined coupler to slide down in the same direction and away from the pinion shaft until it disengages and allows the driveshaft to drop down. These couplers could be a weak point but have never broken one on my 4110 and I have broken probably 8 or 10 front axles, a couple countershafts, 1 set of ring gear studs and one set of ring/pinion gears. I think if it were very weak I would have broken one by now. The 2310 may be different from mine though ....

Well, the 2310 diagram doesn't show splines but you can see it is designed exactly as you describe so I will bet they're the same. If you have had that many issues and the coupler has never failed, you can pretty well discount the coupler theory. Sounds like sms888 is probably right, if he can see the pinion gear head engaged and spinning with the ring gear and the driveshaft doesn't, not much else between that pinion head and the drive shaft except the part of the pinion shaft he can't see.

/ Mahindra 2310 no 4x4?
I'm still working on getting the thing apart, but I did speak to a dealer who said there is some type of coupler that usually snaps. At this point I can't see where that coupler is... At any rate, I probably won't have any more info til next week. I teach in an Auto Shop and the school is closed all weekend, which is where the tractor is right now, so I will resume on Monday. I'll keep you posted! Thanks All

Steve

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Farmall M (A34236)
Farmall M (A34236)
GRIZZLY BEAR STATUE (A34011)
GRIZZLY BEAR...
Axle (A34007)
Axle (A34007)
Unused Wood Splitting Attachment, (A33079)
Unused Wood...
2022 Great Dane 53 X 102 Reefer Trailer (A33439)
2022 Great Dane 53...
1968 John Deere 55 Combine (A33041)
1968 John Deere 55...