1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem?

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #51  
Now that we have finally established that the pto spins with the tires on the ground and the transmission in gear, we can rule out the clutch as the immediate problem (like SoundGuy said). There is zero possibility that your tractor has a double clutch.

Will the tractor move with one broken axle? Definitely not. The differential will always send the power to the tire with the LEAST resistance. A broken axle would be that path. Keep in mind that a broken axle might grip enough at the break point to appear normal under no load.

Try jacking up one tire. With the trans in low gear, attempt to forcably turn the tire that is off the ground. Rock it back and forth as hard as you can. There is a good chance that you will notice something slip and possibly HEAR where it is coming from, since the machine is not running.

Dont take your loader off yet. Knowing what we do at this point, I am putting my money on a broken axle or stripped axle splines. Let us know what happens.

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #52  
yep.. stripped hub/axle, broken couple tube.. pinion.. ring gear..e tc.

i think I'd pop open the diffy fill plug. or squander 13$ on a hyd top cover gasket / oring kit and pull the seat and top cover off / pull pto shaft out.

heck.. by the time you do all that, probably easier to pull left axle trumpet abd be done with it.

do the jack em up trick like strum suggested first.

might be able to see coupler tube from dipstick cover / pto shifter cover..

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #53  
i just got done working on one with a broke axle and with it jacked up the wheels spun normally but with it on the ground no movement at all

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem?
Sigh...

Yesterday morning, I decided to take a fresh look at his problem. After a few minutes of thinking, I pressed the clutch in by hand and heard the pressure plate creak. When I released it, it kept creaking until the pedal was almost completely released. Hmm. Since the wheels turned with no load, it wondered if it could be as simple as... yup. I loosened the clutch stop bolt a couple turns, and presto - problem solved. We couldn't see the forest through the trees - it just needed the clutch adjusted.

I feel like I've wasted a lot of your time, but I'm glad to know there are many people willing to offer their expertise to those of us that are still learning.

Thank you!

Greg

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #55  
I'm glad you got it figured out.

However, I am puzzled as to how the PTO would have worked if the clutch just needed some adjustment (with the tractor in gear and the tires on the ground). :confused2:

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #56  
I'm glad you got it figured out.

However, I am puzzled as to how the PTO would have worked if the clutch just needed some adjustment (with the tractor in gear and the tires on the ground). :confused2:

that is a real good question i would like to know how also