1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem?

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #1  

CedarHillFarm

Tractor
1961 Ford 4030 Light Industrial
Despite decades of experience restoring classic cars, my knowledge of tractors is limited. My wife just bought an old tractor from a friend, and I have positively identified it as a 1961 Ford 4030 Light Industrial. It runs great, but won't move. It feels like the clutch is not engaging at all, or slipping terribly. I was hoping someone might suggest where I should start regarding troubleshooting. I have no repair documentation. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Greg

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #2  
Despite decades of experience restoring classic cars, my knowledge of tractors is limited. My wife just bought an old tractor from a friend, and I have positively identified it as a 1961 Ford 4030 Light Industrial. It runs great, but won't move. It feels like the clutch is not engaging at all, or slipping terribly. I was hoping someone might suggest where I should start regarding troubleshooting. I have no repair documentation. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Greg

What transmission does it have? Does it have a PTO, and does it work?

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #3  
:welcome:

According to this website, Identifying Old Ford Tractors, your tractor should be basically the same as the 601, 801 tractors. I think you can buy a manual for the x01 series at TSC.

If it won't move at all, in any gear, it's likely going to be the clutch. There should be a dust cover on the bottom of the bell housing that would allow you to look at the clutch.

BTW, if you replace the clutch, that involves splitting the tractor. Go ahead and change both clutches (drive and PTO) pressure plate, throw-out bearing, etc, while you're at it. It's not worth the effort to do it all over again.

About the only other possible cause would be a broken input shaft, and that's unlikely.

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #4  
How many gear positions does it have? If it has 10 with the gear shift mounted on the dash, it is a select o speed. These where common on the industrial models during that production run. If it is a SOS, it is definitely not the clutch (because it doesnt have one).

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem?
It's a 4-Speed with hydraulics and PTO.

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #6  
Check to see if the Pto works. If it doesnt, you definitely need a clutch.

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #7  
I should clarify: make sure the tractor is in gear when doing the above test.

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #8  

Greg

The first thing to do is to get a factory service manual for your tractor. With dealer shop costs on the order of $100 per hour, you'll pay for it quickly plus it will contain systems descriptions that will provide a lot of info about your machine. The IT manuals provide only limited information and I personally think they are worthless.

If the clutch just needs adjusting, someone can talk you through it. But if you have to replace the clutch then you'll have to split the tractor and the shop manal will be really useful. To checlk for slippage, start the tractor, put it in high gear and step on the brakes (assuming the brakes are good). Release the clutch, if the engine stalls and stops, the clutch is good. If the engine remains running, the clutch is shot.

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #9  
The first thing to do is to get a factory service manual for your tractor. With dealer shop costs on the order of $100 per hour, you'll pay for it quickly plus it will contain systems descriptions that will provide a lot of info about your machine.

Agreed. You are going to need a manual regardless. I restore classic cars and tractors. There isn't that much difference really. Get yourself a manual and you'll be good to go.

Post back on the test I told you to do. I have never seen a clutch so bad that the tractor wouldn't even move, so I am curious.

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem?
Quick update - I went to TSC today, but they had no manuals at all. It was raining, so further tests will have to wait a day or two. I'm very impressed by the prompt and informative responses here. Hope I can provide some useful info to others as I proceed...