Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Riding

Default Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel.

So my mowers tires are old and dry rotting, and i got some new ones to replace them, only problem is that the rim is stuck, only 1 bolt and washer hold it on, i'v used a bunch of dw-40, hammered it, and even tried to use a gear puller, but it hasn't moved at all. only thing i can think of is to, change the tire without taking off the rim but it would be a lot harder to that.

any idea's?

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Default Re: Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel.

What about holding a propane torch to get it nice and hot, then tap on it?
    JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

You can try some Kano Kroil too and try to get it to work in on the shaft. I know this tip does not help now, and may seem "smartazz" to you, but this is why you grease the axle shafts of a new mower and put the rim back on, and take it off at least every 2 years and apply more grease so that this does not happen in the first place.. The rim and bushing rusts solid to the axle shafts, and can be a real problem to get off. which you already know.

Amazon.com: kroil penetrating oil

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Riding

Quote Originally Posted by Deere Dude View Post
    What about holding a propane torch to get it nice and hot, then tap on it?
    Tried that too just forgot to add that.

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    You can try some Kano Kroil too and try to get it to work in on the shaft. I know this tip does not help now, and may seem "smartazz" to you, but this is why you grease the axle shafts of a new mower and put the rim back on, and take it off at least every 2 years and apply more grease so that this does not happen in the first place.. The rim and bushing rusts solid to the axle shafts, and can be a real problem to get off. which you already know.

Amazon.com: kroil penetrating oil

James K0UA
    And ya i should have greased it up every other year, but i just don't see how one it rust free and the other is rusted shut

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by MyBallsHurt View Post
    Tried that too just forgot to add that.

And ya i should have greased it up every other year, but i just don't see how one it rust free and the other is rusted shut
    One got water in it.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    and i just got a 580 c case backhoe real good shape got another kubota 2100 .. 2 - 684 IH 2 -8 N Ford had B275 IH MF # 50 work bull MF 35 all redone 65 mf 1750 kabota

the best penetrating oil is just ordinary brake fluid . but grease it up good after
    JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF NONE

Gold Member
    Tractor
    jinma284

if you have a air compressor and a air chipper then use that, the real fast light hammering should work. Dont forget the ear defenders

Silver Member

How about trying the acetone/ATF mix discussed in this thread. I have used it and have been impressed with it. I am now trying to pull an internal pipe out of a 3PH boom pole and I have been slowly letting this mix work its way in. Hope it works for me. Hope this mix works for you.

Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

I went through the same thing changing the tires on my previous JD mower model 170. I pried, cursed, beat it with a hammer, cursed, tried my small gear puller (managed to bend the rim with that), cursed even more, borrowed a large gear puller that still didn't budge the wheel. I ended up working the tire off the rim with the wheel on the mower (only managing to bruise 3 knuckles and bloody one fingernail). Then I wrapped a really soaking wet rag around the shaft where it entered the transaxle and used my oxy/fuel torch to heat the hub of the wheel. After heating enough to burn off the paint, I was able to use the large gear puller to get the wheel off. I used boat trailer grease (most waterproof grease available) when reassembling. Actually, it will be my brother's problem if it happens again since I sold him that mower and bought my X320.
    My toys: '09 BMW R1200GSA
    '06 Harley Roadking ~ '95 Suzuki DR350S
    '94 Suzuki DR350S ~ '07 Yamaha Superjet
    '09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
    '83 Suzi 125 three wheeler ~ '13 Ram 3500 4X4 Cummins SRW
    '09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
    '12 John Deere X320

Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

Oh, BTW, no I didn't sell my brother the mower because of this issue. He had borrowed the 170 several times and even though he has a couple of bigger JD riding mowers he told me numerous times that he really liked the 170 and that if I ever sold it, he would buy it. That got me to thinking about replacing it and I made the mistake of walking into a JD dealer one day after I heard they had a promotion going on mowers. One check blank later and I was loading up a new mower.
    My toys: '09 BMW R1200GSA
    '06 Harley Roadking ~ '95 Suzuki DR350S
    '94 Suzuki DR350S ~ '07 Yamaha Superjet
    '09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
    '83 Suzi 125 three wheeler ~ '13 Ram 3500 4X4 Cummins SRW
    '09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
    '12 John Deere X320

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast