Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel.

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #11  
Heck with the rim being stuck, you got bigger issues. You gotta fix what caused your (user id).

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #13  
It sounds like its an MTD / Cub Cadet tractor? If it is it has 2 flats on the axle shaft. Getting them off is tough. I would heat the inside hub of the rim and then we had a bearing clamp on the axle shaft to drive against the rim hub. Otherwise you will bend the rim by hitting or pulling on the rim. If the rim is "keyed" to the axle shaft, drive out the key if possible to allow the rim to rotate on the shaft when heated. We never used grease on the axle shafts, we always used never sieze copper or nickel
compound. We had a mower service business for 25 years.

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #14  
PS, Many of the MTD units with the 2 flats on the axle shafts, we just changed the tires on the machine as it was faster than dealing with the problem. Most customers didn't want to spend the money to fix the real problem.

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #15  
Sounds like you need a heat wrench.Heat the hub with a torch

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #16  
How about trying the acetone/ATF mix discussed in this thread. I have used it and have been impressed with it. I am now trying to pull an internal pipe out of a 3PH boom pole and I have been slowly letting this mix work its way in. Hope it works for me. Hope this mix works for you.

Tranny fluid and acetone will work guaranteed!!!!! Try it, 50/50 mix.

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #17  
After its off reinstall it using never sieze....if you dont your going backwards. I have used never sieze since the 60s when a contractor showed me how great it worked. It also lets you get nuts an bolts tighter.

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #18  
Good penetrating oil, heat and then heat some more, air hammer may all be needed before your done. My worse one was having to remove the transmission split the case, to remove the axle, then using a 20 ton press to press the axle out of the rim.

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #19  
yup , been there and done that. atf/acetone/diesel mix. bang and curse. repeat . over and over and over until its off. :thumbsup:

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #20  
I went through the same thing changing the tires on my previous JD mower model 170. I pried, cursed, beat it with a hammer, cursed, tried my small gear puller (managed to bend the rim with that), cursed even more, borrowed a large gear puller that still didn't budge the wheel. I ended up working the tire off the rim with the wheel on the mower (only managing to bruise 3 knuckles and bloody one fingernail). Then I wrapped a really soaking wet rag around the shaft where it entered the transaxle and used my oxy/fuel torch to heat the hub of the wheel. After heating enough to burn off the paint, I was able to use the large gear puller to get the wheel off. I used boat trailer grease (most waterproof grease available) when reassembling. Actually, it will be my brother's problem if it happens again since I sold him that mower and bought my X320.

sounded like one of those
jobs you wish you never started lol