Deere 2305 Cylinder Head Cracked - Where can I find another one?

/ Deere 2305 Cylinder Head Cracked - Where can I find another one?
I found the Deere part number and was able to x-ref that to a Yanmar number from the Deere site. A Yanmar dealer told me he will loose his dealership license if he knowingly sells a Yanmar part for a Deere application. Deere and Yanmar are in cahoots together. Better known as price fixing! Fortunately, they use the same head for marine applications and I can order the part from a marine dealer.

Given that the Deere site x-ref to Yanmar number I am fairly confident that I know the part (119717-11740). So far the dealers have to order them in from Japan...so I hope its right!

/ Deere 2305 Cylinder Head Cracked - Where can I find another one? #22  
We had a 2305 at work, (just traded it in) and I found out that when it was relatively new, it had the motor replaced under warranty. The guy told me he felt it overheated too. So, you peeps with a belly mower underneath a 2305, I would invest in an overheat buzzer alarm (like they have on many outboard motors). In the mean time, clean your screens in front of your radiator often.

/ Deere 2305 Cylinder Head Cracked - Where can I find another one? #23  
I found the Deere part number and was able to x-ref that to a Yanmar number from the Deere site. A Yanmar dealer told me he will loose his dealership license if he knowingly sells a Yanmar part for a Deere application. Deere and Yanmar are in cahoots together. Better known as price fixing! Fortunately, they use the same head for marine applications and I can order the part from a marine dealer.

Given that the Deere site x-ref to Yanmar number I am fairly confident that I know the part (119717-11740). So far the dealers have to order them in from Japan...so I hope its right!

Even though JD and Yanmat are doing less business together!!

Well, I am taking the block apart and going to get it bored, honed, and cleaned. Might as well do it right!

I have two repair options I am considering for the head. One place actually heats the cylinder head and welds in new metal. Then it is machined back to spec. They offer a 6 month warranty Midwest Cylinder Head & Machine - Cylinder Head Repair Recondition

The other uses a method called lock & stitch where the crack is drilled and tapped and pins are installed in an overlapping fashion. Then it is machined back to spec. They offer 3 month warranty.

Both companies are confident in their ability to repair the head. The first options sounds the best since it sounds like they are adding back cast metal. But, who knows? Anyone have experience with either option?

I have decided I am going this route...I understand the risk compared with a new $2,000 head.

/ Deere 2305 Cylinder Head Cracked - Where can I find another one? #25  
Well, I am taking the block apart and going to get it bored, honed, and cleaned. Might as well do it right!

I have two repair options I am considering for the head. One place actually heats the cylinder head and welds in new metal. Then it is machined back to spec. They offer a 6 month warranty Midwest Cylinder Head & Machine - Cylinder Head Repair Recondition

The other uses a method called lock & stitch where the crack is drilled and tapped and pins are installed in an overlapping fashion. Then it is machined back to spec. They offer 3 month warranty.

Both companies are confident in their ability to repair the head. The first options sounds the best since it sounds like they are adding back cast metal. But, who knows? Anyone have experience with either option?

I have decided I am going this route...I understand the risk compared with a new $2,000 head.

No personal experience, but both methods are well known as casting repairs. Personally, I'd lean toward the weld repair...

/ Deere 2305 Cylinder Head Cracked - Where can I find another one? #26  

It may not need to be bored. The machine shop should check it out and tell you if it needs it.

I found out where the nugget of metal came from. It just keeps getting better. All 3 pistons have similar damage.

The block is not warped and all the measurements seem in spec. A complete rebuild is in order. I am taking the block to the machine shop and sending the head off to be welded.

photo (3).jpg

I am searching for an Engine Overhaul Kit for the 2305 engine and can't find it. I have found other model rebuild kits, but not the 2305. Anyone have any ideas?

/ Deere 2305 Cylinder Head Cracked - Where can I find another one? #29  
Did you see the used 3TNV76 on ebay for $2300+freight(Missouri)? They say used,then say it was never in a unit? Out of a ThermoKing reefer unit-so might be another place to look for parts.

I did take a look at it. Unfortunately, we can't figure out what sub-model of 3TNV76. There are different versions with different hp output. Would love to know how to determine which sub-model it is.