what kind of repair will this be to my bush hog? :(

/ what kind of repair will this be to my bush hog? :( #11  
Honestly don't know exactly how a slip clutch works but I assume that what I'm looking at is bearings that allow some 'flex' or give between the drive shaft and the working end (ie. the blades).
If that's the case before I rewelded anything I'd dismantle (loosen) the spring tension and make sure those bearings were still free and not frozen because if they're not rewelding the drive shaft would be as useless as the last repair done or not done as the case may be.

And yes, one should always return barrowed equipment in better shape somehow than when it's loaned even if it's just a bit of grease needed.

/ what kind of repair will this be to my bush hog? :( #12  
fandelem,

Attached you'll find a couple of exploded views of the PTO clutch. While these are not your exact part, they should aid in understanding the basic components. It might be possible to buy the broken part versus an new PTO clutch assembly, but it might not be much cheaper. Then again it might be more economical to replace the entire PTO shaft assembly if purchased from Tractor Supply or similar.

Perhaps this website will help... PTO Clutch | Best PTO Clutch Prices

Slip Clutch Picture.jpg Slip Clutch Picture 2.jpg

Good luck with the repair and let us know how it turned out.

/ what kind of repair will this be to my bush hog? :( #13  
IMHO.. that would be an EASY repair for someone that owns a welder.

If it was mine I'd weld.

on the neighbor?

I'd weld it up and finish the job. if it held fine I'd take it back and tell him it broke at the weld and I welded it. i'd then offer to buy him one or split the cost.. or give him half the $ and keep using the broke one. whatever kept the peace. slip clutches generally are about 100$ items.

That's why i don't borrow stuff. I figure if I borrow it I should be able to afford a repalcement. if I can afford a repalcement.. i can afford to own it and not borrow it.

/ what kind of repair will this be to my bush hog? :( #14  
That's why i don't borrow stuff. I figure if I borrow it I should be able to afford a replacement. if I can afford a replacement.. i can afford to own it and not borrow it.

Good advice, every time I borrow something I either break it or lose it... Best just buy your own.:)

/ what kind of repair will this be to my bush hog? :( #15  
Good advice, every time I borrow something I either break it or lose it... Best just buy your own.:)

yup.. then tou are not paying to repalce it, without the benefit of owning it!

/ what kind of repair will this be to my bush hog? :( #16  
Look at the driveline and see if it has a make on it. If it is a name brand like Weasler, Comer, Bondiolie or Neapco they sell parts for their slip clutches. The yellow collar would indicate that it is a metric series driveline. If not get the measurements of the cross and bearing (cap to cap, OD of cap and location of snap ring) and go to a dealer and order the right replacement slip clutch.

/ what kind of repair will this be to my bush hog? :( #17  
I would think that a rod with about 3% nickel would hold better than 7018. Just a thought, james

/ what kind of repair will this be to my bush hog? :( #18  
I would just replace the yoke in the slip clutch, remove the bolts and springs, separate the yoke from the cross kit and replace it. I am not complete sure looking at the pictures but it looks like a Eurocardan brand PTO shaft. Are there any numbers on the yokes of the PTO shaft> Agri Supply sells replacement parts for them

/ what kind of repair will this be to my bush hog? :( #19  
I would think that a rod with about 3% nickel would hold better than 7018. Just a thought, james
You are right, it would be a stronger weld but it is not needed to weld on cast steel. 7018 (70,000# tensile) will hold more than the base metal so the cost of the alloy rods is wasted $$$

/ what kind of repair will this be to my bush hog? :( #20  
why would you disassemble it to weld with mig?

I don't think you could get the MIG cup in around all the bolts and springs very easily and the weld quality would suffer. Of course you could always try, but removing 8 bolts isn't a big deal and likely needs to be done to free up the clutch plates.