Trouble with Compressor blowing Breaker

/ Trouble with Compressor blowing Breaker #61  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi

I suspect the starting current is what is causing your problem.

I ran a dedicated outlet for my 120V compressor from a 30A breaker and #10 wire. This eliminated the starting current nuisance tripping of the breaker.

If you can change the motor to 220V, this would be an even better option, if you have enough space in your panel for a 2 pole breaker.

John )</font>

What kind of receptacle did you hook up to this 10 gauge wire on a 30 amp circuit? I am not aware of any 30 amp 110 volt receptacles. I am pretty sure that you don't want to hook up a 15 or 20 amp receptacle to that circuit. If you hard wired the compressor up to this circuit that is one thing, but you stated that you ran a dedicated outlet so I am just wondering how you did it. I'll look in my Grainger catalog tonight and see if I can find any 110 volt 30 amp receptacles. Maybe I will learn something.

/ Trouble with Compressor blowing Breaker #62  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am not aware of any 30 amp 110 volt receptacles. )</font>

Well I can't say that any more. Graingers has a Nema 5-30 receptacle on page 324 for $22.64

I have attached a Adobe Acrobat file showing the receptacle.

Attachments

• 348369-Grainger_Item_5Z904.PDF
    94.6 KB · Views: 205
   / Trouble with Compressor blowing Breaker #63  
Would this fill the bill?

Product Category: Electrical > Plugs and Receptacles > Locking Receptacles

Description
Isolated Ground Twist Lock Receptacle, NEMA Configuration L5-30R, Current Rating 30 Amps, Voltage Rating 125 Volts, Power Rating 2 HP, Plug/Connector Single, Number of Poles 2, Number of Wires 3, Color Orange

Grainger Item: 5Z903
Price (ea) : $37.60
Manufacturer: HUBBELL
Mfg. Model#: IG2610
Ship Qty : 1
Sell Qty (Will-Call) : 1
Usually Ships : Today
Catalog 394 Page: 323

Attachments

• 348374-5Z900.jpg
    348374-5Z900.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 104
   / Trouble with Compressor blowing Breaker #64  
Nearly all RV parks have 30 amp and/or 50 amp 120v service. Camping World is just one of many places you can see what that kind of 30 amp receptacle looks like.

/ Trouble with Compressor blowing Breaker #65  
We also have used 30 amp 120v receps. for special hookups during special events at the entertainment complex I work for.

The electricians come out and drop the lines and wire everything up in the morning, etc.. we do the show, and then they remove them before the next day... etc..

Soundguy

/ Trouble with Compressor blowing Breaker #66  
Maybe I missed it with all of the posts, but there was a problem with the compressor so what happened did you get it fixed and if so how did you do it?