Kubota BX2200 problem with HST and 3pt Hitch

/ Kubota BX2200 problem with HST and 3pt Hitch #1  

enginesludge

Tractor
Ford 3930, Kubota B2200
Hello,

I am a new member with a problem. Heard that before?

I have a Kubota BX2200 1000 hrs purchased used 5 years ago, with mid-mower and loader. Soon after I got home I notice the high range HST was would not pull when hot and seemed very weak or slow at any temperature. The low range might be ok, or usable, limited experience limits my understanding. I would think from how it slows down up hill the low range is not what it should be. I been mowing with it for 5 years but unable or unwilling to risk mowing the trails on steep hills in the back of my property. I only mow 2 or 3 times a year, maybe 1/2 or 1 acre of grass (or some kind of green stuff).

Here is a wierd clue or perhaps unrelated, I just removed the loader for first time today. Now the 3pt hitch and mower will not elevate. I have enough fluid, if anything I think the previous dealer tried to over fill a little bit to get it working better. I dont see any leaks worth mentioning.

I could sure use a step by step to isolate the HST down to a potential DIY repair and hoping the loader removal behavior is a clue.

I asked at a dealership. The answer seemed to be leave the tractor and your check book or buy a new tractor. Oh, BTW, all Kubotas are HST thank you very much.

Attachments

• Kubota_Crop.jpg
    Kubota_Crop.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
   / Kubota BX2200 problem with HST and 3pt Hitch #2  
Did you loop the hydraulic hose back into the tractor upon removing the loader? Have you checked to see if the HST fan is broken?

First thing I would do after this is clean the screen and replace hydro filter and fluid. If that didn't do it, I'd have to take it to the dealer.

Good luck, our BX2200 is eleven years old and runs, pulls great.

/ Kubota BX2200 problem with HST and 3pt Hitch
Did you loop the hydraulic hose back into the tractor upon removing the loader?

Duh, nope. I will go do that right now. EDIT: That works - Thanks.

The fan works, but when I was looking at that 5 years back it seemed like a decade of grass and dirt never been cleaned out. I am pretty sure the guy who sold it replaced all the fluids and filters. At least that is what he said. He did not clean it, then easy access is not a Kubota feature. I had to pull off all the skins. What a job!

I doubt I put more than 50 hrs on it. I have a Ford 3930 for everything else. It is way to big, bull in china shop, to mow around the house.

If I was the original owner it probably be fine today. At this point, I will just keep running it until it dies then sell it for parts. Maybe try Chinese next time.

Last edited:
   / Kubota BX2200 problem with HST and 3pt Hitch #4  
I have owned Chinese and while they have their benefits I would never sell a Kubota to but a Jinma.

Is the hydrostat function weak in reverse? I am not familiar with the BX2200 but based on some of the smaller Kubota HST's, I assume the F/R have separate hydrostat relief valves.....I am wondering if the forward valve is partially bypassing.

TripleR

I just looked at the owners manual, transmission service every 300 hours. I should read more. I never touched that filter or strainer. I will pickup a new filter at the dealer. Those sharks never suggested anything.

Kernoppelli,

I dont get the love of HST with tractor buying public. Give me gears with a shuttle any day. My Ford is like that. Never a problem. It is not that I want Chinese, I just want to keep it simple. Like the old Kubota pre 1990's. I see those are still running fine.

Well, the HST is weakest in high range. Forward/reverse maybe all the same. But I will check that out to verify. Probably after the service suggested by TripleR.

This is very helpful. Thank you both.

/ Kubota BX2200 problem with HST and 3pt Hitch #6  
Glad we could help.

/ Kubota BX2200 problem with HST and 3pt Hitch #7  
I dont get the love of HST with tractor buying public. Give me gears with a shuttle any day. My Ford is like that. Never a problem. It is not that I want Chinese, I just want to keep it simple. Like the old Kubota pre 1990's. I see those are still running fine.
Funny... to each his own... or whatever. I think HST is the next best thing since sliced bread. I suppose it does have something to do with how you operate your machine though.

I just found the Kubota forum on TractorByNet. After searching, I found this gem. I dont know what it all means - yet. It seems some type of pressure measuring apparatus is SOP for debugging HST units. Is there a reasonable price kit available for this. I have some misc pressure gauges, maybe I just need fittings. Then I need to know what is a hi and low reading for each test point and how to access each point. I might get lucky with the HST 300 hr service and filter and screen. If not, this flow chart seems like the key to understanding what is wrong.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...734-help-mighty-mouse-nibbled-kryptonite.html

and this:

153959d1265076310-help-mighty-mouse-nibbled-kryptonite-bx-hst-troubleshooting-chart-jpg

Untrue, there are Kubotas available with geared transmissions

Compact diesel (as in tractorbynet)? I was told Mahinda was going to supplement their compact line with one and only one gear drive model. When I was seriously looking new and used, 5 years back, 20hp +/-, I found no gear drive compact diesel offered by Deere, New Holland or Kubota.