Not very satisfactory service from HF on a Predator engine

/ Not very satisfactory service from HF on a Predator engine #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
Hi guys,

I've got the little 69731 Predator vertical shaft engine retro-fit to a decent old mower I inherited. It HAS been great. But the carb primer bulb has ceased to function. Makes it VERY difficult to start. First, HF reps tell me that it is NOT in warranty, because it's not part of the fuel delivery system (!?!). And then, they tell me that it is not a part that they sell!

Guess these are truly throw-away engines.

- Jay

/ Not very satisfactory service from HF on a Predator engine #2  
Any chance a small engine shop might have something that could be adapted?

/ Not very satisfactory service from HF on a Predator engine #3  
What did you expect from Harbor Freight? You should be happy it lasted as long as it did!

/ Not very satisfactory service from HF on a Predator engine #5  
Most likely the primer bulb has a split (usually from ethanol) ...you can get them at most repair shops...there are several different sizes so take the one you have with you to match it up...

usually if ethanol has been in the gas used...the fuel lines are in as bad as shape as the primer bulb so I would replace them at the same time...

Good Luck...

/ Not very satisfactory service from HF on a Predator engine #6  
Looks a lot like the Honda engine in my push mower which I think I read somewhere that the Predator engine is a clone of the Honda engines and that Honda repair parts fit.

/ Not very satisfactory service from HF on a Predator engine #7  
I guess my question is, are they saying that the bulb itself is not available, and you have to buy the assembly?

I don't think it would be that difficult to "rig up" something with off-the-shelf parts to keep it running.

/ Not very satisfactory service from HF on a Predator engine #8  
Jay, if it's just the carb primer bulb, in addition to checking with any local small engine repair shop there's a good selection on ebay. The many reviews on that engine seem quite positive.

/ Not very satisfactory service from HF on a Predator engine #9  
Most of those "Chondas" will fit Honda parts. eBay sounds like best bet.

/ Not very satisfactory service from HF on a Predator engine #10  
There may be some differences from Hondas. I have a 420 CC "Predator" which i think is a "bored-out" version of a Honda 390, but there may be some other differences other than the piston/rings.

There is getting to be an aftermarket for parts for some of these "clone" engines, especially for "hot rod" parts.