Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MF 1140 Broken Frame

I have a Massey Ferguson 1140 compact tractor and the frame has broke twice. The first time it happened I welded the crack and then plated it. Has anybody heard of this before and if so what is the best way to fix it so it doesn't happen again? It does have a frontend loader on it, and I think that may be the cause of it but not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Default Re: MF 1140 Broken Frame

Nick have you been using a backhoe with your Massey? If so what kind?

No, It has never had one on it.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    5300 JD 4X4

How much counter balance have you been hanging on the back. These little tractors tend to come apart with filled tires and weight added on the rear.
    Are you talking loader frame or the tractor housing

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Like rdbrumfield said, what part are you talking about breaking. Was it part of the loader, the engine frame rails, the transmission housing or something else? I am having a hard time understanding what you could have welded and then plated. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

i also am having a little problem understanding what actually is breaking , a pic would be a little help.

There is a frame that goes around the engine block, and it broke on the right side about midway back. The frame only runs back to the rear of the engine.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    5300 JD 4X4

Nick, if you unbolted the frame, would it come off with the loader, or would the tractor not be usable without it? Most loader frames go back to the transmision, at least behind the bellhousing seam, and under the tractor. If this is the part that is breaking I would recommend that you take the part off, using it for a pattern and building something a bit beefier. Just remember, making one point stronger usually means that something else will take up the extra strain. That would be the case of the tractor, I hope you don't have to go there.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Nick are you able to take a picture of the part that keeps breaking and post it here at the site? I am sure you would get better advice if we could understand exactly which piece was breaking.

The frame attaches to the engine block. The front axel, steering gearbox, and front bumper all bolt to the frame I am talking about. The loader does slide into a channel that is bolted to the bumper and then the other two supports for the loader bolt directly to the bell housing. I will get some pictures posted in the next day or so. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast