Busted zerk and extractor...what next?

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
A rock fell on the foot of my BH stabilizer and sheared off the zerk for the pivot foot. I figured no big deal and got out my made in USA screw extractor set, found that the #1 size extractor fit nicely into the grease channel and used my drill to reverse out the decapitated zerk. One millisecond later the screw extractor sheared off flush with the zerk carcass. I then tried to drill out a slightly larger hole to put in the next size extractor but the remains of the broken extractor is so much harder than the zerk body that my drill keeps sliding off center. Not easy to remove the whole stabilizer cylinder to use a solid clamp and drill press.

What are my options??

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #2  
Drill and thread a new hole??

Can you install a new pin that has the zerk on the end or make one ???

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #3  
Small chisel and hammer and tap out the zerk counter clockwise. No fun, but works.

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next?
Small chisel and hammer and tap out the zerk counter clockwise. No fun, but works.
That sounds a bit easier than Egon's suggestion as I won't need to pull the pin. I'll give it a try next weekend after a penetrating oil soak.

Drill and tap new zerk hole will be the next move.

I'll explore getting a predrilled pin with zerk on the end. I don't have the skill or machinery to make one myself.

Thanks to you both.

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #5  

+1 on Mossroads suggestion. I remove a lot of old rusty hardware out of old boilers that way.

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #6  
I'd put a nut (1/4-20 for a small zerk) over the broken bits, blast it with a burst from a mig welder to fill the center and hope that the heat loosened things enough that it can be turned out with a wrench.

I'd put a nut (1/4-20 for a small zerk) over the broken bits, blast it with a burst from a mig welder to fill the center and hope that the heat loosened things enough that it can be turned out with a wrench.
Good idea. I'll have to remember to disconnect the battery as the BH is mounted. Probably will give MossRoad's suggestion a try first if I can locate a small metal working chisel.

Anyone know who sells small metal working chisels? I have a set of punches and some large cold chisels but cannot find a very narrow (1/8" or so) metal working chisel on Amazon, even in a set.

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #9  

I've done this to remove hardened studs that were busted off flush. Lay a nut centered over the stub, weld down in the center of the nut then wrench out the broken bit. The heat from welding helps loosen things up too.

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #10  
If you have a dremel tool and it's not sheared off too deep you can cut a channel into the sheared off remains and then take a flat head screwdriver to back it out with.

E.