Busted zerk and extractor...what next?

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #11  
If you have a dremel tool and it's not sheared off too deep you can cut a channel into the sheared off remains and then take a flat head screwdriver to back it out with.

E.

+1 on Everhard's idea. Also, like Moss said a chisel and hammer. However, I've always used a pointed punch instead of a chisel. It may bite better because there isn't a lot of surface area to work with.

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #12  
I've never used an extractor in a drill only by hand. Gives a much better feel of if it's going to work, spin in the hole or break off.

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next?
I've never used an extractor in a drill only by hand. Gives a much better feel of if it's going to work, spin in the hole or break off.
Yeah, my first though was "sheet, I shouldn't have used the electric drill", but I then looked at the instructions and they specified using an electric drill. The shaft of the extractor was 1/4" hex so it seemed natural to use the drill.

In any case, the bit snapped so quickly I think I could have done it easily with a socket wrench too. Maybe even with a screwdriver hex receiver.

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #14  
I think you are looking for a small cape chisel. Amazon has 3/16" and 1/8" sizes made by proto.

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #16  
That's the one I would use. No problem.

Use a tap handle, not a drill!

Several years ago, I got one out with a torch. It was on a bigger machine that used a zerk with small pipe threads. The metal of the zerk heats at a different rate than the part it is screwed into. When it glows a little you hit the O2. Then clean the remainder out with a chisel. I don't know how much of it went into the joint as slag to tear up the pin and bore later.

Last edited:
   / Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #17  
I've never had much luck with screw extractors on a stuck-broken bolt or fitting. On impact-broken fittings, they work about half the time. I've use both spiral and square ones. Square were a little better. I think the problem with screw extractors is the tapered shape just wedges the fitting tighter.

Since they have become commonly available, I've had better luck tapping a Torx bit into the hole. Straight sides and 6 driving edges.

For a small punch, I grind a chisel tip on a pin punch, then grind it flat when I'm done, if it isn't a spare. Another good source is a small nail set reground to chisel tip.

I now have some left-handed drill bits but haven't tried them yet.

Bruce

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #18  
I've never had much luck with screw extractors on a stuck-broken bolt or fitting. On impact-broken fittings, they work about half the time. I've use both spiral and square ones. Square were a little better. I think the problem with screw extractors is the tapered shape just wedges the fitting tighter.

Since they have become commonly available, I've had better luck tapping a Torx bit into the hole. Straight sides and 6 driving edges.

For a small punch, I grind a chisel tip on a pin punch, then grind it flat when I'm done, if it isn't a spare.

I now have some left-handed drill bits but haven't tried them yet.

Bruce
LH drill bits are the business!

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next? #19  
+1 on bcp's Torx bit suggestion. It worked great for me with a zerk fitting on my Alamo mower and a broken distributor bolt on the 8N.:thumbsup:

/ Busted zerk and extractor...what next?
+1 on bcp's Torx bit suggestion. It worked great for me with a zerk fitting on my Alamo mower and a broken distributor bolt on the 8N.:thumbsup:
I'll try that in the future but currently, with a broken extractor in the grease channel, there is no place to jamb a torx tip and as that tip is much harder than the zerk, I cannot drill it out without a vice and drill press.