Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #1  

Rcl700

Tractor
MF230
Im band new to the tractor world. I recently bought a home that came with a Massey Ferguson 230. I plan to use this to cut the large yard. I have started and driven the tractor but can not get the 3 point to drop or move.
I reviewed the manuals and see the there is an inspection plate on the right hand side where the dip stick is at. I have started removal of this but have no clue what todo once I get it off. One of the bolts is currently stuck. I have been spraying with PB Blaster.

I'll try to get some picture posted.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20161127_144426.jpg
    20161127_144426.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 683
   / Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not
MF230

Attachments

• 20160923_114123.jpg
    20160923_114123.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 668
   / Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #3  
Im band new to the tractor world. I recently bought a home that came with a Massey Ferguson 230. I plan to use this to cut the large yard. I have started and driven the tractor but can not get the 3 point to drop or move.
I reviewed the manuals and see the there is an inspection plate on the right hand side where the dip stick is at. I have started removal of this but have no clue what todo once I get it off. One of the bolts is currently stuck. I have been spraying with PB Blaster.

What is that running out of the bolt holes? Looks like water!

Its brand new hydraulic oil. The previous owner change the oil and filter when he couldn't get the Hydraulics to move.

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #5  
Its brand new hydraulic oil. The previous owner change the oil and filter when he couldn't get the Hydraulics to move.

Some of these MF's require that you connect the pto drive. Is there a lever on the left side that allows you to do that?

I'm not that familiar with that model but I would strongly advise that you get a factory shop manual and an owners manual. The problem can be as simple as a leaky lift cylinder or an adjustment of the control valve or it might be something more.

It does have a pto lever on the other side but doesnt seem to effect the 3 point. I have both manuals and cant find anthing in a external control valve.

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #7  

That lever is the response rate "slow to fast" The 3 point goes down by its own rate so you might have to push it down a bit cause nothing is on it.

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #8  
I believe in the "KISS" principle. I wouldn't "open" the tractor until someone I trusted had told me why I should "open" it. You may find the solution is something very simple. Patiently keep asking around and gathering information. Someone will have your solution. Good luck. And let us know what you do to fix the problem so the next person on TBN with that problem can find the answer here. :)

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #9  
That lever is the response rate "slow to fast" The 3 point goes down by its own rate so you might have to push it down a bit cause nothing is on it.

With the response rate lever in the fast position, how much weight did you have on the 3pt to cause it to go down? Remember the 3pt only goes down by the force of gravity. With no weight on the 3pt, many of them if they are a little stiff wont go down at all. 3pt's go up by hydraulic flow to a cylinder, they go down by the force of gravity. With a few exceptions of a few foreign tractors.

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #10  
It does have a pto lever on the other side but doesnt seem to effect the 3 point. I have both manuals and cant find anthing in a external control valve.

The lift control valve is internal and it moves in one direction to let flow out of the lift cylinder and the other to allow pressurized oil out of the pump to the lift cylinder.