Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #22  
Hopefully, you don't have to go this deep, but the video gives you a look inside.

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #23  
G'day Rc 1700.
The mf 200 series has a Mark three hydraulic pump the principle of operation is the same as the mark two and to a point the mark one pump .
The side cover! the rusty screw that we are looking at is a countersunk slotted head screw it looks very rusty but you have been doing the right thing by pb blaster try getting a hammer and chisel and clean out the screwdriver slot and using the corner of the chisel set it in the slot and gently tap with the hammer ,anticlockwise to loosen
once removed you can see the control valve and the response plate , first if the response plate is seized /stuck say in the slow response position it will not allow the linkage to lower do this first make sure the plate will move freely by hand it is spring loaded if it is stuck pb blaster and try to get it moving when you have done this move the hydraulic control levers and make sure they are not stuck ,first put the draft lever( the one nearest the fender) all the way to the rear fo the tractor and leave it there, using the position control lever move it forward and all the way back and make sure it maintains contact with the control valve AT ALL TIMES if it looses contact try jiggling the control valve back and forth until all is good.
I would change the hydraulic oil and wash out the filter ,if you need to know how to do this just ask.
When you get things moving come back and I will coach you through the hydraulic operation .
Merry Christmas to you all in the UNITED STATES From us all here in Western Australia.
Hutch.

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not
Thank you so much for the information you provided!

Im glad that I'm on the right track. I'll keep working at the stuck bolt an keep you posted.
I cant wait to get this old girl running good.
This is my first tractor.

Merry Christmas..

A king was born

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #25  
Once the slot in the screw is cleaned out, might a hand impact driver (with a good fitting bit) be a good tool to loosen that fastener?

I thought the same thing. I purchased one on amazon. I took the wheel off to get a better swing at it, but no luck. Ill continue to soak it. It may require appling some heat.

Nice that the tool was only $11 with free prime shipping.

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #27  
Does it make any difference if you move that lever on the side (on the plate you are removing) forward? IIRC (from many moons ago on Dad's MF Industrial 35), that little lever controls the rate of drop for the 3 point and if its all the way up, it won't let the 3 point drop down.

Aaron Z

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #28  
The lift control valve is internal and it moves in one direction to let flow out of the lift cylinder and the other to allow pressurized oil out of the pump to the lift cylinder.

Your 230 has alot in common with other MF tractors within the same HP range
i recommend you search out some other MF tractor users in your area, or ask at the dealer
I have owned and worked on MF tractors for years, they are relatively simple, I am speaking of the older ones, and Dealers and owners have always been free with their advice

Also, there is a contro; valve under the seat that redirects the Hydraulic operations from the rear to the front to facilitate a front end loader
Ck to see if it is in the correct position pump is working.

Should be aplug in hole for loader. With it removed and engine running you can tell if

Also, the plate that houses the dipstick on the right hand side provides access to an oil filter
I doubt that you will learn much from going in there

Pump can easily be removed for repair or replacement
To do this one removes the top plate and gear shift leaver on top of transmission

No special tools required, but watch carefully to see and record how lines are hooked up inside of housing
Gotta get em back exactly as they are

My experience with these pumps, has been that it was cheeper to order a rebuilt one of even new over trying to repair myself

My parts for late model MF,s all come from India over past few years, Order them throught a local dealere
in tractor parts

All parts are high quality and have not experienced any problems other than having more cash in pocket to carry around

Hope this is helpful

Your 230 has alot in common with other MF tractors within the same HP range
i recommend you search out some other MF tractor users in your area, or ask at the dealer
I have owned and worked on MF tractors for years, they are relatively simple, I am speaking of the older ones, and Dealers and owners have always been free with their advice

Also, there is a contro; valve under the seat that redirects the Hydraulic operations from the rear to the front to facilitate a front end loader
Ck to see if it is in the correct position pump is working.

Should be aplug in hole for loader. With it removed and engine running you can tell if

Also, the plate that houses the dipstick on the right hand side provides access to an oil filter
I doubt that you will learn much from going in there

Pump can easily be removed for repair or replacement
To do this one removes the top plate and gear shift leaver on top of transmission

No special tools required, but watch carefully to see and record how lines are hooked up inside of housing
Gotta get em back exactly as they are

My experience with these pumps, has been that it was cheeper to order a rebuilt one of even new over trying to repair myself

My parts for late model MF,s all come from India over past few years, Order them throught a local dealere
in tractor parts

All parts are high quality and have not experienced any problems other than having more cash in pocket to carry around

Hope this is helpful

I thought the side cover had to be removed before lifting the top cover. Does anyone have a picture of the valve under the seat?

I have not located that.
I do know if I rase the control lever all the way up (constant pump) the engine bogs if running at idle.

I asume this means the pump is working. Likely just stuck in up position

/ Massey Ferguson 230. The little tractor that could not #30