electronic repair of tractor parts

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #1  

Ken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520,
Today decided to check why the tach.(engine hour meter} on a B7100HST-D Kubota had quit.
and removing from dash saw it was a sealed unit. since it had quit. carefully pealed back the rolled metal front removing the glass and removing the retainer bolts on rear. saw that humidity has caused rust to build into the circuit board. cleaned off the rust with brush and checking with volt meter then with oscilloscope had pulses to the emitter of transistor and coming out was just broken pulses.
then with 9 volt battery saw the coil to hour meter was working .
retiring 22 years ago used to repair or be able to search for parts or use a cross reference to locate almost any chip transistor or special circuit in electronics. today spent most of day trying to locate the parts only the prices are so unreasonable be cheaper to just toss and forget.
Locally RadioShack sells some electronic chips but since almost no one purchase repair parts not stocked anymore.
parts house are no longer available in reasonable distance.

so back to question does anyone repair there electrical or electronic parts on the tractors.
maybe just buy new and get on with life.

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #2  
I have repaired electronic parts, sometimes it is worth a shot. You may have to buy new.

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #3  
the prices are so unreasonable be cheaper to just toss and forget.

Yep. It's just not cost effective to repair stuff, and since it's not cost effective to repair it, there's no market for the parts.

/ electronic repair of tractor parts
I've repaired a few things in my days, I keep a few old broken amps and radios etc around, never know when you can borrow a part from them. NTE has a cross reference site.
NTE Electronics Inc. | Electronic Components Supplier | Semiconductors

I'm familur with the cross reference for parts except need a number to enter and 20 years out of the information loop . so looking at reference need to know if SCR SCS SUS TRIAC DIAC or transistor.
and all have 3 legs
It was more like does anyone anymore repair there own electrical equipment. Think cost effective is answer. $1 buck part or $200.00 replacement or more.
thinking going to be soon light bulb not working. removing 2 screws and exchanging bulb is not cost effective just spend hour changing the whole fixture. after waiting week for UPS to send new one.

thanks for the reply
ken

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #6  
I'm familur with the cross reference for parts except need a number to enter and 20 years out of the information loop . so looking at reference need to know if SCR SCS SUS TRIAC DIAC or transistor.
and all have 3 legs
It was more like does anyone anymore repair there own electrical equipment. Think cost effective is answer. $1 buck part or $200.00 replacement or more.
thinking going to be soon light bulb not working. removing 2 screws and exchanging bulb is not cost effective just spend hour changing the whole fixture. after waiting week for UPS to send new one.

thanks for the reply
ken

Some diagnosing of 2 and 3 legged devices has gotten easier with inexpensive products like this little guy-

Amazon.com: Yosoo GM328 Lcd Display Transistor Tester ESR Meter Cymometer Square Wave Generator: Home Improvement

under $25 and is very handy for identifying unknown 2 or 3 legged devices -just be sure to discharge capacitors before hooking it up.

Product Description

LCR-T3 graphical multi-function tester resistor capacitor + SCR + diode + transistor + mos tube inductance LCD 12864 LCD display, with backlight , backlight color is generally yellow-green
9v battery powered- just unplug if it will be off for days because it will kill the battery

- Automatic detection of NPN and PNP transistors , N -channel and P-channel MOSFET, diodes (including dual diode) , thyristors , transistors, resistors and capacitors and other components , - Automatic test out the pin element and displayed on the LCD
- Can be detected to determine the transistor emitter forward bias voltage of the transistor , MOSFET protection diode and the amplification factor of the base
- Measure the gate threshold voltage and gate capacitance of the MOSFET
- 1602 lcd display uses LCD (12864 LCD with backlight)
- High test speed , valid component test: 2 seconds (except in the larger capacitor of large capacitance measurement also takes a long time , the measured time of one minute is normal)
- One button operation , power-on test
- Power consumption off mode : less than 20 nA of
- Auto power off function for improved battery life.

Specifications:

Test ranges: Inductors, capacitors , diodes, dual diode , mos, transistor, SCR , the regulator, LED tube , ESR, Resistance,Adjustable potentiometer

Resistance: 0.1 ohm resolution, maximum 50M ohm
Capacitor: 25pf -100,000 uf
Inductors: 0.01mh-20H

One of the best little electronics troubleshooters I have ever used. They can also be found with a protective case for more$

Digikey and Mouser are good places to source reasonably priced semiconductors still.
I would get a firm price on that dash- before giving up on repairing it.

ps. once the basic device type is nailed down, you can go to digikey and apply filters to the description and find a part that fits the specs, if the chip has no identifiable or usable stock #/code on it.
Sometimes close enough Really Is close enough.

Good Luck- and here's hoping for an inexpensive fix.

Last edited:
   / electronic repair of tractor parts #7  
I was very annoyed that my shopvac quit due to an overheated one-time thermal fuse opening. (Make sure to clean those filters frequently if you vacuum concrete or sheetrock dust much!!) Shopvac was no help with any parts, just a replacement motor/fan assembly for something like $60 (for a $50 vac). No specs on the fuse, so had to guess. Bought 10 replacement fuses for $3 or so from "the China". Works perfect now. The manufacturers really don't care and really don't want you to "repair" only replace whole assemblies.

/ electronic repair of tractor parts
Thanks for the name and location of the transistor checker. will order next week.
do believe it is only the output that has failed due to rust and moisture in case. scope show's good clean pulse and output part it is choppy unusable signal.
JRobyn I try. and most times i'm able to fix items around the house. dairy's around here now mostly shut down but when operating was able to fix the electrical problems from S/B gen. chillers pumps to the timers and clocks in milking parlor. still get a lot of calls to fix items but have to tell them I retired.

I don't know of a teen ager young adult that wants to learn how the use test equipment or work on anything.
it is just change. and toss the old what ever out.
ken

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #9  
That thing is cool! At work we just had a cricket tester in a wood box!