What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood?

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #1  

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
Why New Holland thought that plastic was the right material to use for the body parts on the TC series tractors will always be a mystery to me but, they did. I guess I should have put a grill guard on mine before using it to load the dump truck but, I didn't and the hood made contact with the truck a few times and came apart. I'm not really sure what my best adhesive option is going to be to get this thing back together, it looks like whatever they used originally created a solvent weld because chunks of the mated piece came out where it broke apart. I'm thinking maybe hit the bonding surfaces with some 40 grit sandpaper to rough it up and use an epoxy but, I don't know if there might be a better option so, I'm asking first. I've got to wait a week or so for the right side headlight bracket to get here anyway so I've got time to do this right instead of twice.

So, what would you use?

Attachments

• IMG_20170419_164826360.png
    IMG_20170419_164826360.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 861
   / What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #2  
Do a little research here.

Plastic body panels can be miserable if you don't know exactly what the plastic is. For example, if you try and weld it with the wrong plastic filler rod, you'll have a mess!

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood?
I did do a bunch of welding of fender cracks last year, I want to say the plastic is HPDE but, I don't remember for sure. The welds have held up ok. Where I've got to make repairs this time isn't designed to be welded though, they used an adhesive of some sort. There is about a 1" wide lip on the sides of the top piece that the sides for over and the adhesion was here.

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #4  
So many glues and adhesives to choose from, my last two part glue I had good results from was Gorrila glue, used on my leather boots last year, still holding. I see several pieces there, if that's all broken , might try glue with few small pieces of sheet metal behind the plastic and use a few pop rivets. I'm assuming a new hood is expensive? If you fix it show what you did.

It's not broken, broken. It came apart at the seams. I am considering adding some sort of mechanical fastener to it, either through bolts with washers or rivets.

I've already ordered a grill guard for it so once it's fixed, I shouldn't be able to break it again. Hopefully.

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #6  
That's kinda odd a hood would fall apart like that, I have only had to repair a Stihl 038 engine cover, 4in hole and about 8 diff pieces of shattered plastic, I taped one side so all the pieces stayed and put a 2 part epoxy on the back side, it dried like steel and to this day (6 years later) is strong as ever.

You can see and feel the cracks in the plastic but there all smooth and that area feels stronger than plastic not epoxied.

In your case I'm surprised there's no clips or something holding the hood together, more than just "glue".

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #7  
That's kinda odd a hood would fall apart like that, I have only had to repair a Stihl 038 engine cover, 4in hole and about 8 diff pieces of shattered plastic, I taped one side so all the pieces stayed and put a 2 part epoxy on the back side, it dried like steel and to this day (6 years later) is strong as ever.

You can see and feel the cracks in the plastic but there all smooth and that area feels stronger than plastic not epoxied.

In your case I'm surprised there's no clips or something holding the hood together, more than just "glue".

He hit it "several times" with the side of a dump truck. If it was made of 12ga steel it would be all wadded up.

No, I bumped it 4 or 5 times. If it had been 12ga steel, it might have a slight crease. If I'd hit it hard enough to crumple steel, this thing would be trashed. There are no cracks in it, the glue seams just failed.

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #9  
Still no sympathy. Two best ways to avoid hood damage are to have a grille guard and not drive into things. True for steel, plastic or fiberglass.

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #10  
Still no sympathy. Two best ways to avoid hood damage are to have a grille guard and not drive into things. True for steel, plastic or fiberglass.
I guess you've never accidentally hit something.