Backhoe Pin

/ Backhoe Pin #13  
If time is a problem you can get back together on Monday (temporary at least) by getting a piece of 1 3/16" cold rolled shafting, drill a hole in each end for a lynch pin. LS should have the item in stock somewhere, you just have to wait to get it to you, meanwhile you are still operating. Most pins like that are shafting stock anyway. I keep several common sizes on hand for such contingencies. If you have welding capability just weld a large washer on one end of the pin, wow you have a new one for a lot less than LS will want.

Curious, what happened that you need a pin that large? Hard to shear 1 3/16 stock?

Ron
Must be something going around. Yesterday my neighbors Kubota with the BH 77 backhoe did the same thing. Snapped the pin in half and snapped the hydraulic fitting off the dipper cylinder.

We got the cylinder repaired and tried to put in a temporary pin but the pin flanges on both sides of the boom are bent. My question is when we tried to bend them back they kept springing back. Is this some kind of special steel? We're going to try heat today and see if that helps. Just curious.

/ Backhoe Pin #14  
In 1500 hrs I have replaced both bottom attachment pins on my BX FEL. They are 3/4". They take the major stress of operations. Steel will crystallize with constant stress and shear at that point. The OP probably lost the keeper bolt or lynch pin first and the large pin gradually worked its way out. That is what the pre-op walk around and visual inspection is supposed to detect first.

Ron

/ Backhoe Pin #15  
Thanks Seabee, with a little heat I was able to get the pin holes to line up and used a 1 1/8 hitch pin I had and and everything worked out .

Actually the keeper bolt was still in place. The pin appears to have snapped where there was a slight groove to allow grease to enter. According to the parts list this pin has been changed to a new number. Maybe they have had several failures. Anyway the neighbor is going to order a couple today, at 25 bucks each!

/ Backhoe Pin #17  
Amazing what they charge for a little hunk of steel shaft. I did the same thing, ordered the 3/4 pins rather than make one. Time is worth money also.

Ron
Well, first you buy the rod, machine it as needed, weld the end on, clean it up and plate it, then you put it on the shelf for an indeterminate time until you sell it. Sometimes it's a wonder things are so inexpensive.